Betta question

  • dianalsw
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2004
      Do betta fish hunt? I saw the betta attacking and eating the pond
      snails, which is fine. That's what I have most of the snails for
      anyway, food. Last evening I canme home to find 2 dismembered dwarf
      crays. Now I've had problems with deaths all summer, so that's not
      new. Finding dismembered corpses is new. I watched throughout the
      evening, and saw the betta eating one of the corpses. I began to
      wonder, has he learned to kill his miniature tank mates instead of
      eating his betta food like a good boy.

      Thoughts?

      Di
    • JKKeas@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2004
        I have found the few fish that can get along with various Cray's, generally
        depend on size. Fish should be bigger than the crays, but not always.
        Plecostamus are great and keep the tank algae down. They should be big enough to
        shake off a cray fish if it grabs a tail. I prefer the white or lemon variety.
        Larger Plecos don't have a problem.
        Also great are Red Tail Sharks, always moving too fast for the crays to grab
        hold of and they also eat algae.
        I have KOI in a lot of the tanks with Crawdads and the only problem is
        competing for food. Koi will sometimes eat cray food of carrots and corn but
        generally let cray have it. Shrimp pellets will never get to the bottom with KOI and
        if you feed want to feed them pellets let the pellets slide thru an area koi
        can't get to.
        Don't put in a gold fish as they will go after the crays. Also any fish like
        white mountain cloud fish or neons that stay at the top of tank, and always
        moving are okay. Hope this helps. Jerry