regeneration of crayfish extremities

  • brett_merritt@ocde.k12.ca.us
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2000
      I read that a crayfish can grow new legs, does this also include the arms/claws?
    • Boris Grahn
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2000
        Hi!

        Yes, crayfish actually are able to grow new legs and claws and it doesn't
        even take all that long. First appears a small arm+claw that starts growing
        faster than the unharmed one. On small crayfish this may take just a few
        months and for adults from one up to two years. Crayfish sometimes lose
        both arms but are still able to grow new ones.

        RGDS Boris