Skip to search.

RE: Blue Lobster

  • Bryan Botha
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
      Hi,
      My name is Bryan Botha and I am In Pietermaritzburg, South Africa. I
      acquired 8 X 1 month old blue fresh water lobster about a year ago. 3 weeks
      ago about 150 babies hatched.

      I have no knowledge or experience with them and everything has been by trial
      and error. I don't even know what breed they are. I was told they are "Red
      Clays" but they do not have the red claw. they are a blue colour, some times
      more a grey blue. They have red joints on their legs and claws. They are
      very aggressive and I have had to separate them all. The bigger babies are
      devouring the smaller and I am feeding quite heavily to try and stop this.

      I would appreciate any advice I can get and would like an address where I
      can see some photos to try and Identify them.

      Bryan Botha

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
        Hey Bryan,

        Your species is probably a Yabbie (cherax destructor, is the species name
        as I recall) not a Red Claw. Both come from the region of Australia / Papua
        New Guinea / Southern Indonesia. Yabbies are noted for their aggressive
        behavior and typically have the blue or blue / grey color you mentioned.
        Although they are very hardy and can be attractive for commercial farming,
        Yabbies are so destructive that they often destroy the farmer's ponds by
        burrowing through the walls into the next pond. Mini lobsters with an
        attitude on steroids!

        All crayfish are cannibals (needing only motive and opportunity, such as
        when others are molting and at their most vulnerable), but yabbies
        significantly more so than other freshwater species of that region.
        Overfeeding is not going to solve your problem (but may foul your water) as
        they will still attack those which are molting and may not even eat them,
        just kill them. I liken this behavior to lions attacking cheetahs, not for
        food, but to eliminate a competitor. inIf you keep the young seperated from
        the adults, a few will likely survive and then you can add them back to the
        group in a few months when they are few inches long.

        For references there are many on the internet if you search under yabbies.
        Also check out Dr. Charles Showalter's many articles on Red Claw which are
        in many ways similar to yabbies but much less aggressive.

        Good luck,

        Ken