  • Sapphire
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2003
      Hello. My 5 yr old son was given a crawfish that the neighbor found
      in her back yard (we live off Galveston Bay in Texas) so we're trying
      to learn how to properly care for it. I remember having some as a
      child myself, but I don't have any idea exactly what was needed to
      care for it and the family members that did have since passed away.

      Right now the crawfish (named Nemo) is in a small plastic
      take-out container with a tight light and lots of holes poked in the
      top. He (we think?) has a small amount of water - about half his
      body height - in the container with him. I read somewhere that they
      like rotting vegetation so I gave him some lettuce I was about to
      throw out. I don't think he's eaten it yet though. I also read
      that you can feed them dry cat food? Is this true? I'd also like to
      get an aquarium for him, but I don't know how big it would need to
      be or how it needs to be set up.

      Can anyone provide some direction? Andy is very proud of his new
      pet and I'd like to do whatever we can to keep it alive and healthy.