Re: [crayfish] crayfish

  • ladan asgari
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 6:34 AM

      Hi Kara,

      I suggest you to change water of tank compeletly and give them a bath with 20 PPT salt water for a period of 20 - 30 Min. then transfer them to the freshwater in a clean tank. this the way that I have tried successfully for red claw crayfish with same problem. Hope you can get rid of the parasites.

         ladan,

      Malaysia

      ScullyPug@... wrote:

      HI there

      I just joined your group but unfortunately I have a problem.  Last night I
      moved my large crayfish into a bigger tank.  I just got him about two weeks
      ago.  This tank has a flourescent light so I was able to look at the crayfish
      closely.  I literally went to bed with the skeevies after seeing this.  These
      tiny little inchworm like things crawling all over him.  I even saw two of
      them having a fight.  I also saw smaller worms and other little bugs trying
      to get under his legs and stuff.  Also these little red bumps on his back
      which I think may be the eggs of these creatures, but may just be a physical
      characteristic I never noticed.  Now I know that you can't use medication on
      invertebrates so I'm wondering how to kill these buggers.  It was like I was
      watching some horrible b movie.  he was even trying to claw them off.  If
      anybody could help, please it would be most appreciated.  I'm in a bit of a
      rush to do something.  I can take some decent digital pictures of him if
      anybody needs a pic. thanks

      --Kara

      ---Kara Glashan
             Jersey Bettas
      "Bettas from the Shore"

      Do You Yahoo!?

    • ScullyPug@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1 1:37 PM
        asgari69@... writes:

        << Hi Kara,
        I suggest you to change water of tank compeletly and give them a bath with
        20 PPT salt water for a period of 20 - 30 Min. then transfer them to the
        freshwater in a clean tank. this the way that I have tried successfully for
        red claw crayfish with same problem. Hope you can get rid of the parasites.
        ladan,
        Malaysia >>

        I'm going to try that, thanks so much Malaysia.

        ---Kara
      • Dan Hom
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 15, 2005
          Hi:where can i buy cherax destructor or yabby? please help DAN

        • georgehenry1933
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 23, 2007
            i have just put about 8 lbs of crayfish in my pond. is there anything i
            must do to help them live??? i heard that if a pond leaks, crayfist
            will plug the holes. is that right??? thank you for any info. that you
            can give me.. george
          • broelsystem
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 23, 2007
              --- In crayfish@yahoogroups.com, "georgehenry1933"
              <georgehenry1933@...> wrote:

              > i have just put about 8 lbs of crayfish in my pond. is there
              anything i
              > must do to help them live??? i heard that if a pond leaks, crayfist
              > will plug the holes. is that right??? thank you for any info. that
              you
              > can give me.. george

              If you are worried about your pond leaking I would not add crayfish.
              Crayfish will burrow if the waterlevel drops too fast sometimes more
              than 2 feet. I have read where their burrowing ruins levees around
              rice patties because they are occasionall drained to harvest.
              Crayfish also burrow after breeding if there is a temperature change.
              I just published a bok on raising crayfish in small ponds as small as
              12x12 feet. If you are interested you can buy it on eBay, it has had
              nothing but positive reviews so far. 160087020429 is the item number
              and I can get it shipped out in tomorrows mail if you pay for it
              today. Pond raised crayfish will eat tender vegetation and if you are
              raising them in a high population density you can also feed them fish
              pellets, if they sink it is better but not necessary. They would
              enjoy fresh meat in small pieces too. If you see them up on the bank
              at night they are looking for food so I would feed them more.
              Bullfrogs love crayfish so you will have to decide if you want to
              cull them. I like to eat them myself and I rescue tadpoles for the
              same reason. Live in NW Ohio? Do you know the species you stocked? I
              can send you some good web addresses for many species.
              Don