New member introduction and Marbled crayfish

  • kmaclea
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2012
      Dear Crayfish mailing list members,

      It seems it falls to me to have the first message to the list of 2012.

      I am a scientist at Colorado State and I've spent some of the past three years studying decapod crustaceans. Although most of that has been crabs and lobsters, I've developed an interest in crayfish. In fact, I raised some money during the month of May for a project called "Crayfish Clone Wars" that looks at the genes of the marbled crayfish (Marmorkrebs, Procambarus fallax forma virginalis).

      If any of you want to see my goofy video, have a look at the site:
      http://rkthb.co/7543

      The fundraising period is over, so I'm not looking for additional donations, but I'm beginning the experiments for the Project as we speak.

      I'd definitely like to hear from any owners of marbled crayfish as well--I'd love to hear your experience of raising them and where you got yours, etc.

      I'll be getting my crayfish from Dr. Zen Faulkes at the University of Texas-Pan American.

      I look forward to hearing from other crayfish enthusiasts--let's revive the list!

      Kyle MacLea, CSU, Fort Collins, Colorado
    • Rascally Rory
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2012
        Here is another link to Dr. Kyle's video. It seemed succinct and well done. Good luck Kyle.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ8iIw95jfc

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 13, 2012
          Thank you for that! As an update to all, I did successfully fund my project, raising over $1600 for it. I've now begun the DNA work on my marmorkrebs marbled crayfish and hope to have some results in the near future! Interesting times ahead!

          Thanks for all the interest!

          Kyle