releasing crayfish into a pond

  • Adrienne
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2009
      I work in a pet store that sells feeder fish. Occasionally we get crayfish in with the shipment, and this time I took it home. Are there any negative effects of releasing this crayfish into a local pond? There are many ducks and fish that live in the pond, so I'm guessing it would eventually get eaten. Just wondering if it would hurt the environment?
      Thanks in advance!
    • William
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2009
        There are several reasons that you should not release any animal into a region that they did not come from. One is the likelihood of introducing diseases into the water that you wish to put them in,, That is a big one. Second it might be a female that has yet to berry up and produce young. This could be a concern because they might out compete the native animals and cause some of them to disappear in that particular water. Number three it is mostly unlawfully to release any animal into any place where they did not come from. That means that you could be in court if caught releasing any animal where it did not come from.

        --- In crayfish@yahoogroups.com, "Adrienne" <adriennejo40@...> wrote:

        > I work in a pet store that sells feeder fish. Occasionally we get crayfish in with the shipment, and this time I took it home. Are there any negative effects of releasing this crayfish into a local pond? There are many ducks and fish that live in the pond, so I'm guessing it would eventually get eaten. Just wondering if it would hurt the environment?
        > Thanks in advance!

      • Darrin Vernier
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 8, 2009
          Also, at least one species of crayfish is parthenogenic, meaning no males

          are needed to reproduction and the release of just one could establish a

          nonnative population.

          I would suggest taking it back to the petstore, give it away to someone

          who wants it, feed it to a large cichlid or yourself, or kill it as humanely

          as possible.

          Releases are responsible for a great many environmental disasters and the

          laws looming on the horizon that could end the keeping of this type of pet.

          As bad as this can be you are to be congratulated for asking first. Only

          smart people ask questions! : )

          Cheers,

          Darrin

          To: crayfish@yahoogroups.com
          From: dreammaker2623@...
          Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 03:50:52 +0000
          Subject: [crayfish] Re: releasing crayfish into a pond

          There are several reasons that you should not release any animal into a region that they did not come from. One is the likelihood of introducing diseases into the water that you wish to put them in,, That is a big one. Second it might be a female that has yet to berry up and produce young. This could be a concern because they might out compete the native animals and cause some of them to disappear in that particular water. Number three it is mostly unlawfully to release any animal into any place where they did not come from. That means that you could be in court if caught releasing any animal where it did not come from.

          --- In crayfish@yahoogroups.com, "Adrienne" <adriennejo40@...> wrote:

          > I work in a pet store that sells feeder fish. Occasionally we get crayfish in with the shipment, and this time I took it home. Are there any negative effects of releasing this crayfish into a local pond? There are many ducks and fish that live in the pond, so I'm guessing it would eventually get eaten. Just wondering if it would hurt the environment?
          > Thanks in advance!

        • Heidi Taylor
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 9, 2009
            Adrienne,

            I am a science teacher and would advise you to check with your local
            bait shop or fish and game warden.

            If your crayfish is not from local waters, it may carry parasites
            that could not only harm other living
            organisms but, deplete plants etc.

            Great questions to check out.

            Goodluck.