My lost crayfish

  • Jennifer Shanahan
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 23, 2008
      Sorry to say, my crayfish escaped after only being home less than 15
      hours. We just joined this blog and he is nowhere to be found. I
      expect to be smelling him soon...

      Colin
      New Lenox, IL
    • Darrin Vernier
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 28, 2008
        Some have had success recapturing escaped crabs by laying a damp towel loosely
        on the floor folded with lots of nooks and crannies below it. After a dark night many
        an escapee has been found beneath the towel in the morning. Worth a try with a
        crayfish which may have a similar instinct for self preservation.

        Cheers,
        Darrin

        To: crayfish@yahoogroups.comFrom: jnjshan22002@...: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 02:58:36 +0000Subject: [crayfish] My lost crayfish

        Sorry to say, my crayfish escaped after only being home less than 15hours. We just joined this blog and he is nowhere to be found. I expect to be smelling him soon...ColinNew Lenox, IL

      • Karen Townsend
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29, 2008
          Not so fast. You better keep looking. They live 4 hours out of water. Just be sure not to drown him. When you reimmerse him you just fill the water 1/2 way up his waste or it drowns him from the inside out. They crawl backwards and diagonal so check corners. Ours was wrapped in the corner of our area carpet. Good luck.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 29, 2008
            How?do they drown?

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2008
              Their gills get too dry and the water asorbs into their system and they can't get it out.
              From: Jennifer Shanahan <jnjshan22002@ yahoo.com>

              To: crayfish@yahoogroup s.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
                Karen is right
                Their gills dont �get too dry. when the weather is wet, crayfish can�live along time.�this time is not 4 hours.( look at reference book;edit by�d.m.�holdich; biology of fresh water crayfish)�

                �Cumhur UZUN

                Su �r�nleri Y�ksek M�hendisi

                Aquaculture Eng�neer