Re: APPROVE -- katieyoung2279@hotmail.com wants to join crayfish

  • David Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2008
      Congratulations, and welcome to the group! Crayfish are fascinating
      creatures.

      A little over a year ago my daughter also found a crayfish family. They
      had been in the sun for a while and got dried out, but we were able to
      save two of the babies.

      You will want to make sure that the babies have plenty of places to
      hide. Crayfish are a natural food for just about anything in the water,
      including other crayfish. There will be a point where the one thing
      that is most dangerous to the babies is their mother.

      We put a loofah sponge in the fish tank, because it has lots of holes
      for the baby crayfish to live in, and they can eat it without getting
      exposed to danger.

      Once they get old enough to leave their mother, you will want to start
      looking at finding them separate tanks. Our babies were quite social at
      first, but when they started to show colors they also became
      territorial. When they start acting like they want to fight, it is time
      to separate them.

      Crayfish are sensitive to a lot of common chemicals. It is best to keep
      you aquarium as free from chemicals as possible. In some areas,
      standard coral supplements may be necessary for good shell development.
      Use the amount that the box says to use for your tank size.

      As babies, mine ate mostly algae wafers. When they got older, they
      would refuse to eat the wafers any more, and now the one that is still
      alive eats shrimp pellets.

      Crayfish grow too big for their shells from time to time, and they will
      molt. They will crawl right out of their shell, like clothes that are
      too tight, then grow a new shell. This is a scary time for a crayfish,
      so they will often sulk and not eat for a couple of days before and
      after molting. After molting, they quickly grow a new shell.

      Cheers,
      David

      NW Arkansas