New member ...

  • David Johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
      Comment from taj2255:

      My nephew had gotten 2 crayfish from his school and I am helping him
      take care of them, which I have no idea how to do!!!! Hoping members of
      the group can help us...
    • David Johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
        Like most other crustaceans, most crays are territorial. One square foot of
        tank per inch of body length is the general rule of thumb. You may want to
        separate the two so that they can't fight.

        I feed mine twice daily - a bunch of algae wafers, a shrimp pellet, and
        occasional fresh veggies. I use the rule of thumb that if there aren't any
        algae wafers visible then it's time to add some more.

        I add standard reef supplements to every water change, just like for a coral
        reef. One drop each of calcium, iodine, and strontium supplements from a
        standard coral reef starter kit.

        Many crays don't take stress well, so make sure that they have plenty of hidey
        holes.

        I hope this helps.

        David Johnson
        NW Arkansas.

      • ASDrew@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2007
          clean water... lots of hiding places... and keep them well fed... but don't
          over feed where there is a lot of food waste at the bottom of the tank.
          Not that this is a great idea, but i keep my feeder guppies in the same
          tank as my crays, occasionally i'll see a dead chewed guppie on the bottom of
          the tank.
          Snails are not a good tank mate choice... my crays would carry them around
          like prizes before carting them off into a dark den.
          I've kept Louisiana red crays with Australian Blue Yabbies for a time.
          I think it all comes down to ... enough food, and enough places to hide.

          Like most other crustaceans, most crays are territorial. One square foot of
          tank per inch of body length is the general rule of thumb. You may want to
          separate the two so that they can't fight.

          I feed mine twice daily - a bunch of algae wafers, a shrimp pellet, and
          occasional fresh veggies. I use the rule of thumb that if there aren't any
          algae wafers visible then it's time to add some more.

          I add standard reef supplements to every water change, just like for a coral
          reef. One drop each of calcium, iodine, and strontium supplements from a
          standard coral reef starter kit.

          Many crays don't take stress well, so make sure that they have plenty of
          hidey
          holes.

          I hope this helps.

          David Johnson
          NW Arkansas.

          On Monday 02 July 2007 23:24, David Johnson wrote:
          > Comment from taj2255:
          >
          > My nephew had gotten 2 crayfish from his school and I am helping him
          > take care of them, which I have no idea how to do!!!! Hoping members of
          > the group can help us...

        • randymescaniuk
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2007
            --Crayfish love to dig up and eat plants. They will lift things while
            hunting for food and build tunnels. They can destroy an aquarium set up
            for fish. One thing to remember is that they can live for hours out of
            water and love to migrate. They can climb air hoses, push there way up
            between the glass and the tubes for undergravel filters and many other
            ways to escape. David Johnson mentioned possibly seperating them but I
            don't think he mentioned that they will fight to the death and ther
            winner will eat the other one.