raising crawdads in an aquarium

  • bob teiber
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2006
      Any help or sugestions on raising crawfish (that my grandson and I caught in the creek this summer) would be greatly appreciated
      Thanks
      Bob

    • ASDrew@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 15, 2006
        I would think if keeping crays:
        1) keeping good water quality with proper water changes.
        2) perhaps a water jet to keep water moving around in the tank
        3) personally I feed heavier than normal when I have multiple crays in one
        tank to keep them happy, and not wanting to eat each other, but don't feed if
        you see food still on the bottom.
        4) lots of hiding places, but make the hidden places seeable from your side
        so you can see them.
        5) some can be escape artists, so nothing in the tank that they can climb
        out on, like a log or something that stick out above the water line.
        6) No large fish that will munch on them when they molt and thus they are
        temporarily soft and mushy
        7) I keep small fish like guppies in the tank to help clean up excess food,
        and they themselves can be caught and eaten.
        8) experiment for yourself, recently I have crays with mudskippers and crabs
        in a tank and so far, no casualties. Had them in with ciclids... the smart
        ones stay hidden when newly molted.
        Andy