Overmap

  • Linley Robert Henzell
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1 12:07 AM
      I should quickly explain exactly what the Overmap does and how it
      does it, just in case anything isn't clear.

      Basically, whenever the player sees (in the viewing window) any
      of a few certain dungeon features, one of the three recording
      functions in overmap.cc is called. These are:

      - seen_feature() - for shops, labyrinths, gates to hell/
      pandemonium/the abyss. There is a large array called 'feature' with
      50 elements (one for each level) times 30 (one for each branch,
      with room for new branches). IIRC this is a char. Whenever
      this function is called, one of the bits in the appropriate
      element is set to 1 (ie there is a bit for shops, one for
      labyrinths etc). There is no allowance for quantity.

      - seen_altar() - this works much as feature, except that the
      information is stored not in a single bit but in a char. The
      value is set to the god whose altar is the first one seen on a
      level; if more altars are seen it's set to 100, or "there are
      altars to several gods". This is okay because, IIRC,
      you are very unlikely to get a level with more than one altar
      but less than all of them.

      - seen_stairs() - the stair_level array has an element for every
      branch, and when the player sees a branch staircase (eg a
      stair to the orcish mines) the level on which it was found is
      recorded. The branch on which it was found doesn't need
      remembering, as this is fixed.

      The display_overmap function loops through all of the levels
      and all of the possible branches and displays whatever is
      present on that level of that branch.

      Disclaimer: All variable/function names are subject to my memory.

      Oh, and there is one rare bug in the code which I just thought of. Worshippers
      of Nemelex (I said it was rare :) ) who place
      portable altars will have these recorded forevermore on their
      overmap. The only thing I can think of which would fix this
      would be to prevent Nemelex's altars being recorded at all,
      unfortunately.

      Linley
    • Linley Robert Henzell
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6 6:36 PM
        >Tried looking at the overview map this weekend, but the file seems to
        >be truncated are garbled.

        There might be a problem with uploading from my library's crappy
        Imacs to the onelist site. I'll try again (and I'll download it
        myself to test it), but if it doesn't work can I email it
        to someone?

        Linley
      • Brian C. Robinson
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 1999
          Oh, BTW, I don't think the overmap is working right. I believe it
          was supposed to give you a list of all the shops and special locations you
          have been in, but in my current game, it does nothing, even though I've
          seen two shops and been to the Ecumenical Temple. Or am I confused about
          what it is supposed to do?

          BOBBIE BATTISTA: And if only we could eat the Earth's crust.
          BILL NYE, SCIENCE GUY: We do in a sense, you know.
          Jagged Alliance 2 FAQ: http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~bcr19374/ja2faq.htm
        • Brian C. Robinson
          Message 4 of 7 , May 27, 2000
            Well, on level 4 there are two shops, one of Jewelry and one of
            food. Should the overmap list both? And how come it doesn't say what
            kind of store is there?

            --
            Jagged Alliance 2 FAQ: http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~bcr19374/ja2faq.html
          • Brian C. Robinson
            Message 5 of 7 , May 27, 2000
              On Sat, 27 May 2000, Brian C. Robinson wrote:

              > Well, on level 4 there are two shops, one of Jewelry and one of
              > food. Should the overmap list both? And how come it doesn't say what
              > kind of store is there?

              Make that three shops... just found one of scrolls also. Very
              interesting. Too bad I have only 56 gold. Is there any way to enchant up
              that ring of strength?

              --
              Jagged Alliance 2 FAQ: http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~bcr19374/ja2faq.html
            • Michal Valvoda
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6 2:06 AM
                Did anyone look at that new fullscreen overmap ?
                I'd like to know if there are any bugs or if it's working (I tested
                it but only under DOS/Windows)

                Michal
              • Brent Ross
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 11 7:41 AM
                  // Did anyone look at that new fullscreen overmap ?
                  // I'd like to know if there are any bugs or if it's working (I tested
                  // it but only under DOS/Windows)

                  Other than the fact that it used "LIGHTGRAY" (only defined for DOS before),
                  and didn't call redraw_screen() for PLAIN_TERMs afterwards it works just fine.

                  Brent