problem with Crawl source

  • lejean2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
      I downloaded the source of Crawl from
      http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/crawl/crawl_4.0.0beta26.orig.tar.gz
      because I wanted to play a bit with the code. Now, my C++ knowledge is
      very very limited (being a Ruby and PHP developer) but I understand
      what is going on and I can change a few things to my liking.

      When I tried to use the included gomake.sh (after running dolinks.sh)
      it complained about a file called religion.o which obviously is not
      included in the source package.

      make[1]: *** [religion.o] Error 1

      Am I doing something wrong? How can I make crawl from source?

      Ivan Pavlov
    • Ciaran Hamilton
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2005
        --- In crawl-dev@yahoogroups.com, "lejean2000" <ivan.pavlov@g...> wrote:
        > make[1]: *** [religion.o] Error 1

        This is a well-known problem with the Crawl 4.0.0b26 source. To fix
        it, edit the source/religion.cc and locate the section of code
        beginning with "const char *sacrifice[] = {". Replace that block with
        this:

        const char *sacrifice[] = {
        " glows silver and disappears.",
        " glows a brilliant golden colour and disappears.",
        " rots away in an instant.",
        " crumbles to dust.",
        " is eaten by a bug.", /* Xom - no sacrifices */
        " explodes into nothingness.",
        " is consumed in a burst of flame.",
        " is consumed in a roaring column of flame.",
        " glows faintly for a moment, then is gone.",
        " is consumed in a roaring column of flame.",
        " glows with a rainbow of weird colours and disappears.",
        " evaporates."
        };

        In other words, remove the braces from around the text inside the
        block. After this is saved, the code should be able to be compiled
        properly.

        Just a note; you may be interested in the 4.1.2alpha, which is being
        developed in this very group. Check out the Files section.

        - Ciaran.
      • lejean2000
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
          Thanks, I downloaded 4.1.2alpha and changed a few things in the code.
          Compiles perfectly. Obviously now I have to learn C++ :)

          - ivan

          --- In crawl-dev@yahoogroups.com, "Ciaran Hamilton"