What about Lua as new crawl engine?

  • Serg
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2005
      Hello, all.

      Subj.
      Lua - the new elegant scripting language.
      Lua IMHO good candidate for crawl engine.

      links:
      http://www.lua.org/ - Lua home.
      http://www.lua.org/pil/ - programming manual.
      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/johanne.winwood/ - wxLua.

      --
      Best regards,
      Serg
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 15, 2005
        In crawl-dev@yahoogroups.com, Serg <kse@t...> wrote:

        > Lua - the new elegant scripting language.
        > Lua IMHO good candidate for crawl engine.

        Sounds great. When will you need testers?

        ---J
      • Christopher Shumway
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 15, 2005
          On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Serg wrote:

          > Hello, all.
          >
          > Subj.
          > Lua - the new elegant scripting language.
          > Lua IMHO good candidate for crawl engine.

          I've heard good things about Lua, but if we are considering changing
          languages for Crawl 5 again I would vote for Java this time, primarily for
          the platform independence. The current Crawl 5 is C++ on a Mac, and I
          took a half-hearted stab at porting it to Windows and Linux then gave up.
          The less barriers to getting people involved, the better.

          --
          Christopher W. Shumway
          shumway@...

          Softline International, Inc.
        • d.brodale
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 15, 2005
            On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Christopher Shumway wrote:

            > I've heard good things about Lua, but if we are considering changing
            > languages for Crawl 5 again I would vote for Java this time, primarily
            > for the platform independence. The current Crawl 5 is C++ on a Mac, and
            > I took a half-hearted stab at porting it to Windows and Linux then gave
            > up. The less barriers to getting people involved, the better.

            I haven't tracked development of the Crawl 5 project on SourceForge in a
            *long* time ... but I was under the impression that it made heavy use of
            the Boost C++ Libraries, which should be portable to Windows and Linux.

            Someone correct me if I'm wrong in interpreting Jesse's aim with Crawl 5.
            Portability was certainly on the list I read.

            As for shifting to yet another language (Java) or embedding support for a
            lightweight language (Lua) ... well, as with the Crawl 5 project, it just
            takes someone who wants to do it. Others have grafted (limited) GUIs and
            added (targeted) I18N support to the Crawl 4.x source with -- as far as I
            know -- little assistance from Brent or any of the other past "core"
            developers.

            The source is there (as is its license).

            If I may speak for Brent, none of these things are going to find their way
            into Crawl 4.x proper. It was, is, and -- again, as far as I know -- will
            remain software in permanent maintenance mode: no huge new features, just
            bugfixes and game (re)balancing. I haven't heard otherwise for going on
            two years now, and that declaration more-or-less helped push Crawl 5 into
            some sort of being [along with long-standing license issues and a desire
            to make something uncrufty].

            Personally, I'd just like to see something more from Crawl 4.x and hope
            that Brent resurfaces in response to this thread with some indication that
            4.0.0b26 isn't the final word, given his mentions of (private) progress on
            beyond b26 at times in the past.

            Can someone shed light on the status of the 4.x codebase and Brent's work
            since it's release a couple years back? I'd like to contribute again in
            the future, but I guess I'll continue with my make-do work in fixing
            linuxrogue ("Half the size of Crawl, twice the cruft!") for now...

            -don
          • Serg
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 16, 2005
              Hello doctornull,

              d> Sounds great. When will you need testers?

              Not so fast! -)
              My previous post - is only hint/prompting for DC developers.

              --
              Best regards,
              Serg