dungeon floor char in XP

  • Jeremy W. Murphy
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 16, 2004
      hi everyone,

      sorry if this is a FAQ, but I've been out of the loop for a while.

      I've just started using XP and noticed that the dungeon floor character no
      longer appears as the usual dot in the centre of the tile "ยท", but some
      weird thing of two tiny horizontal bars at the top left and right of the
      tile. Do other XP users get this too? Is there anything that I can do
      about it? It's so bad that it makes it unplayable. :( Thanks! Cheers.

      Jeremy
    • doctornull
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 26, 2004
        There were some issues with regard to display characters on Linux
        too -- not Plain Term, but Console, which also used to support a
        nice display.

        Never got a decent answer on that.

        Is anyone actually developing this code?

        ---J
      • bwross@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 26, 2004
          // There were some issues with regard to display characters on Linux
          // too -- not Plain Term, but Console, which also used to support a
          // nice display.
          //
          // Never got a decent answer on that.

          Probably because I can't really help you with that (or you didn't really
          give any information about the problem)... it's never worked for me,
          but then again, I've never seriously tried to play on the console.

          Tried it again today, and it naturally came a lot closer to working
          than ever before... the terrain looked correct for a change! Only
          the text was odd. Normally everything is foobar when I try that.

          // Is anyone actually developing this code?

          Yep. If I released it here it'd get into player's hands who'd expect
          it to be functional, then I'd be stuck answering the complaints.

          Brent Ross
        • Jeremy W. Murphy
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 27, 2004
            So what about on XP, have there been any other reports like mine, or
            similar reports on other platforms?

          • bwross@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 27, 2004
              // So what about on XP, have there been any other reports like mine, or
              // similar reports on other platforms?

              Well, I can't say anything for sure (since I don't have XP, and haven't
              really played under the IBM graphics), but I've been having a look into
              it (I had scheduled a merger of the symbol tables to be done eventually,
              so I'm looking at it now). I'm still hoping someone who's played under
              XP can step forward.

              It sounds like the term you're using is doing ANSI 850 or 852.
              Try looking into if you can make it ANSI 437, since that seems to be
              what view.cc is coded for (could be an option, resource, or perhaps even
              a different font could work). If none of that works, go into view.cc,
              and look under get_ibm_symbol(), mapchar(), and mapchar2()... these
              are the ibm character set functions. The two floor characters are 249
              and 250 (249 is the larger dot). Only 250 is a dot in ANSI 850/852,
              and you'll probably want to use it for regular floor... so replace the
              249s with 250s. Then choose a character for magicmapped floor and use
              that to replace the original 250s. A quick scan though the character
              sets[1], and it looks like you'll also want to replace the "gateway arch"
              (character 239) with something else as well.

              Brent Ross

              [1] http://w3.pppl.gov/misc/ncbridge/html/nc_5250/appd.htm
            • Jeremy W. Murphy
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 28, 2004
                Cool, thanks for the details. If I didn't have exams soon, I would get
                right on it.

                Secondly, I don't even have a compiler at the moment - what do other people
                recommend under XP from the free compilers available? The only ones that
                I'm familiar with are Cygwin/MinGW, djgpp (which I love, but I'd rather
                move on from) and Open Watcom. Any thoughts from other Windows
                users? Thanks, cheers.

                Jeremy

                At 10:30 AM 28/10/2004, you wrote:

                >// So what about on XP, have there been any other reports like mine, or
                >// similar reports on other platforms?
                >
                >Well, I can't say anything for sure (since I don't have XP, and haven't
                >really played under the IBM graphics), but I've been having a look into
                >it (I had scheduled a merger of the symbol tables to be done eventually,
                >so I'm looking at it now). I'm still hoping someone who's played under
                >XP can step forward.
                >
                >It sounds like the term you're using is doing ANSI 850 or 852.
                >Try looking into if you can make it ANSI 437, since that seems to be
                >what view.cc is coded for (could be an option, resource, or perhaps even
                >a different font could work). If none of that works, go into view.cc,
                >and look under get_ibm_symbol(), mapchar(), and mapchar2()... these
                >are the ibm character set functions. The two floor characters are 249
                >and 250 (249 is the larger dot). Only 250 is a dot in ANSI 850/852,
                >and you'll probably want to use it for regular floor... so replace the
                >249s with 250s. Then choose a character for magicmapped floor and use
                >that to replace the original 250s. A quick scan though the character
                >sets[1], and it looks like you'll also want to replace the "gateway arch"
                >(character 239) with something else as well.
                >
                >Brent Ross
                >
                >[1] http://w3.pppl.gov/misc/ncbridge/html/nc_5250/appd.htm
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • d.brodale
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 28, 2004
                  On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Jeremy W. Murphy wrote:

                  > Secondly, I don't even have a compiler at the moment - what do other
                  > people recommend under XP from the free compilers available? The only
                  > ones that I'm familiar with are Cygwin/MinGW, djgpp (which I love, but
                  > I'd rather move on from) and Open Watcom. Any thoughts from other
                  > Windows users? Thanks, cheers.

                  You could try Borland's C++ Builder (the 5.5 free version), which is
                  more than enough to build Crawl, as well:

                  http://borland.com/products/downloads/download_cbuilder.html

                  -don
                • bwross@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 28, 2004
                    // "d.brodale" wrote:
                    // On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Jeremy W. Murphy wrote:
                    // > Secondly, I don't even have a compiler at the moment - what do other
                    // > people recommend under XP from the free compilers available? The only
                    // > ones that I'm familiar with are Cygwin/MinGW, djgpp (which I love, but
                    // > I'd rather move on from) and Open Watcom. Any thoughts from other
                    // > Windows users? Thanks, cheers.
                    //
                    // You could try Borland's C++ Builder (the 5.5 free version), which is
                    // more than enough to build Crawl, as well:
                    //
                    // http://borland.com/products/downloads/download_cbuilder.html

                    Yes, it shouldn't be too bad under Borland... I did test and quieted
                    the Borland build at one point. Other than that I'd probably go with
                    one of the gcc variants you listed, since that's what's being used for
                    the Linux version.

                    Oh, that's not to say anything bad about Open Watcom[1], it's just that
                    I don't think it's every been tested against them, and some stuff is
                    bound to be different and might be persnickety and require quite a bit
                    of work to get it to build[2]. It'd be interesting for someone were
                    to at least try it... my Windows partition is actually non-functional
                    currently so I can't do it anytime soon.

                    Brent Ross

                    [1] I worked for Watcom years back... mostly in Apps and DB, but I did
                    do some work on video card support for the compiler.

                    [2] C++ libraries have been changing and becoming standardized, I'm not
                    sure where Open Watcom is currently wrt that... note Gordon's Borland
                    compiler comment in initfile.cc, which is the reason you should go for
                    v5.5 there.