Bug in monster ammo

  • jcnorris00
    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2004
      Hello,

      I've been playing spellcasters mostly, and so before reaching the
      Temple I spend some time collecting sacrifice fodder for Sif Muna.
      One of my favorites is ammo: 75 arrows, bolts or needles, or 150
      darts or stones, and I get a guaranteed piety boost. Throw in some
      magic armor and weapons, and I generally get Sif Muna up to "pleased"
      right after joining the religion.

      Anyway, since spellcasters are usually weak, I usually have to set up
      at least one stash before I ever find the Temple. Sometimes an
      intelligent monster finds my stuff and starts picking through it.
      I've come back to check on my stash to discover that all of my ammo
      is gone, and the frigging goblin running around with my potions and
      scrolls is only carrying one type (orcish darts, elven needles,
      stones, etc). This has happened several times, and I've never been
      able to find the other ammo. It appears that when a monster picks up
      ammo, any ammo it was already carrying simply vanishes (at least when
      the old and new ammo don't stack). I don't have the source in front
      of me, so I can't verify this.

      Has anyone else noticed this problem, or am I the only ammo hoarder?

      John
    • bwross@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
      Message 2 of 4 , May 20, 2004
        // I've come back to check on my stash to discover that all of my ammo
        // is gone, and the frigging goblin running around with my potions and
        // scrolls is only carrying one type (orcish darts, elven needles,
        // stones, etc). This has happened several times, and I've never been
        // able to find the other ammo. It appears that when a monster picks up
        // ammo, any ammo it was already carrying simply vanishes (at least when
        // the old and new ammo don't stack). I don't have the source in front
        // of me, so I can't verify this.

        Well, monsters can only carry one of any type of thing they carry... it
        looks like I've already fixed this bug by rewritting that code.

        // Has anyone else noticed this problem, or am I the only ammo hoarder?

        You're either the only person who cares or the only person who doesn't
        know good spots to put their junk so it doesn't get raided (as monsters
        are really dumb and don't visit piles except by chance). I've never
        had any problems with raiding because I always store stuff in corners
        (monsters pick wandering directions randomly and thus typically head
        towards the center... or better yet near the stairs of a level that
        I'm leaving and not planing on spending a lot of time on ever again
        (at least away from said stairs).

        Brent
      • r_kusnery
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2004
          Just do what I do: Put some kind of armor on top of the pile.
          Monsters won't pick it up, and they won't pick up anything other than
          the top item of a pile. Also, the monsters ignore giant clubs, so you
          can too.
          Putting stuff in a corner reduces the risk that some jelly will come
          and eat it all, but the best thing is to put it in a dungeon branch
          (other than the Slime Pits, obviously).

          As for sacrificing stuff to Sif Muna - it takes much less time (and
          possibly also fewer game turns) to just cast spells. Especially if
          you use macros (don't make them too long though). The Orc Mines is
          a good place to avoid starvation. Summon Small Mammals is the
          safest spell, because then if a group of orcs catches you with no
          magic points you won't be completely defenseless.
        • bwross@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2004
            // Just do what I do: Put some kind of armor on top of the pile.
            // Monsters won't pick it up, and they won't pick up anything other than
            // the top item of a pile. Also, the monsters ignore giant clubs, so you
            // can too.
            // Putting stuff in a corner reduces the risk that some jelly will come
            // and eat it all, but the best thing is to put it in a dungeon branch
            // (other than the Slime Pits, obviously).

            Actually, I have got monsters looking through stacks now... and because
            I hacked Gordon's beam tracer a bit I've got a monster LOS function
            which combined with a bit of wandering monster code does get monsters
            to visit stacks with interesting items.

            // As for sacrificing stuff to Sif Muna - it takes much less time (and
            // possibly also fewer game turns) to just cast spells. Especially if
            // you use macros (don't make them too long though).

            I tweaked Sif Muna into liking the learning of spell skills... it took
            a few adjustments (slower piety loss, etc) and a bit of testing. This
            was a long time coming, and seems to be working okay.

            Brent Ross