B26 Food

  • Gavin Duggan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2003
      There was a fair bit of discussion on the rgm newsgroup about the food
      situation in B26... in essence, it seems to have swung from too much
      food circa B24 (where carrying 5+ rations around by level 8 was
      common, and finding two or three in a room happened often), to newbies
      starving to death regularly and even midlevel players struggling for
      food.

      I've been trying to test it out with various classes, and there does
      seem to be some shortage of food. (Note that while I'm no master
      player, I'm reasonably experienced, so please don't make suggestions
      like "just butcher everything you can" or "Raise your Int/SpellCasting
      before using big spells" :) Unless you find an AotG, ring of
      sustenance, or play a carnivore, spellcasters are pretty tough to
      manage and still do starve to death sometimes, even if you stay away
      from 3+ spells as long as possible. Non-spell classes aren't as much
      of a problem obviously, but Crusaders, Warpers, reavers and other
      fighter-mages are VERY difficult. Regen of any kind is basically a
      death sentance.

      Anyway, I know you read RGM Brent, so you've probably already tested
      this.. but if you've discovered the same thing, could you release a
      patch for the item generation function now, instead of waiting for the
      next major revision?

    • d.brodale
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2003
        On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Gavin Duggan wrote:

        > [The food situation] seems to have swung ... to newbies starving to
        > death regularly and even midlevel players struggling for food.
        >
        > Unless you find an AotG, ring of sustenance, or play a carnivore,
        > spellcasters are pretty tough to manage and still do starve to death
        > sometimes, even if you stay away from 3+ spells as long as possible.
        > Non-spell classes aren't as much of a problem obviously, but Crusaders,
        > Warpers, reavers and other fighter-mages are VERY difficult. Regen of
        > any kind is basically a death sentance.

        I hate to disagree, but I will anyway. I don't play spellcasters too
        often, but I frequently employ regeneration (either by ring, troll
        armor, or both) and have yet to play a game with beta 26 where food
        was even remotely an issue. Usually, I have a couple stockpiles going
        in a couple places in addition to what my character has on him/her,
        and this is with frequent use of regeneration, abilities that sap
        food, and the odd item that boosts hunger rates.

        Now, perhaps the situation is dire with spellcasters, I haven't tested
        enough here to know for certain. But, an average player for me gets to
        about level 14 to 20-something before meeting an end, and by that time
        usually has a small pile of small comestibles (fruits, jerky, etc.),
        roughly 10-14 rations, and a pile of bee-produce (honeycombs and royal
        jellies) to spare atop 4-5 rations within inventory.

        I don't consider myself a master player by any stretch of the imagination,
        but food has not been an issue for me in Crawl for a very, very long time.

        However, should spellcasters prove troublesome (and on this I haven't as
        much firsthand experience to say one way or the other), perhaps the issue
        should not be addressed within the item routines but rather the casting
        routines. After all, if spellcasters are disproportionately affected to
        the point that it incredibly outweighs the benefits of magic use (and I'm
        not saying it is, just "if"), then boosting food drops would simply make
        starvation even more of a non-issue than I believe it to be currently for
        non-spellcasters. And that would be bad, imho.

        -don
      • Jeremy W. Murphy
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2003
          At 06:34 AM 09/07/2003, you wrote:
          >I don't consider myself a master player by any stretch of the imagination,
          >but food has not been an issue for me in Crawl for a very, very long time.

          I agree, and I play spell-casters a fair bit.

          Jeremy