Orc priests can see invisible?

  • John Norris
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
      Hi,

      How can an orc priest smite my character when he can't see him? My hill orc
      fighter was surrounded, but managed to activate his ring of invisibility and
      make a getaway. Suddenly, he's smited and killed by an orc priest (a regular
      priest, not a high priest). How can the priest target something he can't
      see?

      This is with beta 24.

      John
      --
      John Norris
      Research Programmer
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
        // How can an orc priest smite my character when he can't see him? My hill orc
        // fighter was surrounded, but managed to activate his ring of invisibility and
        // make a getaway. Suddenly, he's smited and killed by an orc priest (a regular
        // priest, not a high priest). How can the priest target something he can't
        // see?

        a) the orc priest can have a weapon or armour that gives see invisible
        b) BOG can see invisible even if the priest can't
        c) BOG grants see invisible to his priests
        d) the player can target invisibile things, the orc priest is a good guesser

        Sorry, its just that this report seems to ask for possible explanations
        rather than a simple report that "direct effects don't check see invisible",
        which would suggest a real bug. Anything that happens inside the game can
        be explained away as part of the game world.

        Brent
      • Kat Soots
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
          --- John Norris <jnorris@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > How can an orc priest smite my character when he
          > can't see him? My hill orc
          > fighter was surrounded, but managed to activate his
          > ring of invisibility and
          > make a getaway. Suddenly, he's smited and killed by
          > an orc priest (a regular
          > priest, not a high priest). How can the priest
          > target something he can't
          > see?
          >
          > This is with beta 24.

          I think orc priests can cast a spell that allows them
          to see invisible for awhile: "The orc priest's eyes
          begin to glow." At least, I always presumed they were
          casting some sort of true sight upon themselves. I'm
          not sure if Crawl AI is that sophisticated or not...

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • Brent Ross
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2002
            // --- In crawl-dev@y..., Kat Soots <krawlkat@y...> wrote:
            // > --- John Norris <jnorris@m...> wrote:
            // > > Hi,
            // > >
            // > > How can an orc priest smite my character when he
            // > > can't see him? My hill orc
            // > > fighter was surrounded, but managed to activate his
            // > > ring of invisibility and
            // > > make a getaway. Suddenly, he's smited and killed by
            // > > an orc priest (a regular
            // > > priest, not a high priest). How can the priest
            // > > target something he can't
            // > > see?
            // > >
            // > > This is with beta 24.
            // >
            // > I think orc priests can cast a spell that allows them
            // > to see invisible for awhile: "The orc priest's eyes
            // > begin to glow." At least, I always presumed they were
            // > casting some sort of true sight upon themselves. I'm
            // > not sure if Crawl AI is that sophisticated or not...
            // >
            //
            // As far as the game's concerned, that's just a 'dummy' effect. It
            // doesn't do anything.

            Correct. I'm starting to love MS_CANTRIP... its surprisingly
            effective at convincing the player that the monster can do any
            number of things (its almost as good as it is in tabletop).

            // And what about other monsters with direct-effect attacks? Someone
            // should at least go over them; they might not all work out so cleanly.

            Already looked into... it seems that direct attacks have never
            really checked for see invisible. Given that the other three
            are hellfire, inteligence drain, and mutate its not surprising
            that this has never been noticed (these three are the domain
            of demons and orange brains... things that people will easily
            believe have see invisible even though that's not neccessarily
            the case (ie neqoxec and hellion)). Even smiting is largely
            given to monsters that people would suspect as possibly having
            see invisible (demons, daeva, deep elf priests). In the end,
            the "lowly" orc priest really was the best chance of exposing this.

            Brent