Re: [crawl-dev] Comments on b22

  • Daniel Ligon
    Message 1 of 51 , Jan 1, 2002
      On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 02:05:09PM +1050, Linley Robert Henzell wrote:

      > The {tried} notation is really good. I also really like the
      > staircase climbing delay; this will make stair abuse much
      > more difficult.
      > If you wanted to make it even harder, you could make climbing
      > a staircase fail sometimes if the player is hit while
      > climbing:
      > "The orc hits you!"
      > "You stumble on the staircase." (different message for Nagas)

      Evil. I like it.

      > - The twist spell is just silly. It does absurd damage, usurps
      > the specialness of Airstrike and Smiting, and really doesn't
      > belong in Translocations.
      >
      > I'm beginning to regret ever creating the Disrupt spell, which
      > seems to have started a trend towards each school getting its
      > own combat spells, however inappropriate. Here is one way of
      > fixing the problem:
      > Remove all the first-level attack spells except Magic Dart,
      > Pain and the elemental ones (ie Disrupt and Twist; are there
      > others?).
      > Create a new spell school, 'Evocations', which doesn't have an
      > associated skill (when you cast an evocation, it just exercises
      > Spellcasting).
      > New spell: Striking. Level 1 Evocation. Fires an invisible bolt
      > 3-4 squares; like a short-ranged, slightly inferior version of
      > magic dart. Damage should be reasonable, but scale very poorly
      > with increased power.
      > Give Striking to all beginning Warpers, Transmuters and
      > Enchanters.
      > I like this idea... What does everyone else think?

      OK.

      It will be useful for practicing only Spellcasting, and Spriggan
      Enchanters could use an attack spell in the early going.

      Twist appears in the Book of Spatial Translocations, while Disrupt appears
      in the Book of Changes and in the Book of Cantrips. Replacing these
      with Striking seems reasonable.

      The Book of Charms has room for one more spell, so Striking can fit in
      there as well.

      That's four books. Should Striking be more common than that? Magic Dart
      is in five (as are Blink, Summon Small Mammal, and Summon Elemental.
      Mephitic Cloud is in eight books).

      Should we add a Diviner class, we'll want to add Striking added to the
      Book of Divinations.

      --
      Daniel Ligon maglorn@...

      Bringing in the Lords of Chaos Sucking out the souls of heroes
      Bringing up the Beasts of Hades Laying waste to knights and ladies
    • Josh Fishman
      Message 51 of 51 , Feb 12, 2002
        Extract Poisonous Essenses => "Fulsome Distilation"

        How about adding code such that throwing a potion at a creature will, if
        it hits, cause some of the potion's effect to affect that creature? Then
        this spell becomes much more useful on its own.

        ---Josh