Re: [crawl-dev] Problems with monster inventories?

  • Josh Fishman
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2001
      On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Jesse Jones wrote:

      > >>I've seen that disorder message a few times too. The first time the
      > >>game hung when I tried to go back up to that level. After that I
      > >>avoided loading those levels again. :-) There really needs to be
      > >>better sanity checking here. It's not right that a bad level can be
      > >>generated and only found when the player stumbles across a bad pile
      > >>of items.
      > >
      > >>From what I can remember, this kind of thing is almost
      > >certainly the result of bugs in either the monster inventory
      > >code or the code responsible for placing monster corpses on
      > >death.
      >
      > This is more like what I was seeing. The right way to handle this IMO
      > is to add some asserts that will fire as soon as possible. After the
      > asserts are in place fix the code...

      Could this be platform-dependent behaviour? I've been playing quite
      a bit but haven't seen this on Linux/x86.

      Could those who've seen it report which platform they were on?

      ---Josh
    • Josh Fishman
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2001
        ... seems to be gone. I can't log into that machine anymore, either.
        I'll get a new mirror up & running from someplace at my new location
        but in the meantime perhaps the dungeoncrawl.org site oughtn't point
        to my lack-of-server.

        ---Josh
      • Daniel Ligon
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2001
          On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 10:48:34AM -0400, Josh Fishman wrote:

          > Could this be platform-dependent behaviour? I've been playing quite
          > a bit but haven't seen this on Linux/x86.
          >
          > Could those who've seen it report which platform they were on?

          I have seen it on Linux/x86. :)

          --
          Daniel Ligon maglorn@...

          We are in the hands of infinite power and infinite sadism.
          -- _Inferno_
        • Jesse Jones
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2001
            >> >certainly the result of bugs in either the monster inventory
            >> >code or the code responsible for placing monster corpses on
            >> >death.
            >>
            >> This is more like what I was seeing. The right way to handle this IMO
            >> is to add some asserts that will fire as soon as possible. After the
            >> asserts are in place fix the code...
            >
            >Could this be platform-dependent behaviour?

            Seems a bit unlikely, but I suppose an uninitialized variable could
            have slipped past the compiler...

            >I've been playing quite
            >a bit but haven't seen this on Linux/x86.

            I saw it three times in the course of a week.

            >Could those who've seen it report which platform they were on?

            Mac

            -- Jesse
          • mannix
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2001
              or perhaps I ought to get off my ass and post what
              I did to the dungeoncrawl.org site locally. Thanks
              for the heads up.

              - don