Re: Crawl Handoff

  • Brent Ross
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1 1:39 AM
      // From: Jesse Jones <jesjones@...>
      //
      // >I'm more concerned about accidentally dropping my worn armour instead of
      // >the spare armour I'm dropping because of the weight. The armour exchange
      // >seems to be the correct choice (in that it removes the silly manual armour
      // >shuffle).
      //
      // OTOH you can now read a scroll of detect curse, wear a half dozen pieces
      // of armor, and immediately drop the lame ones. I do this a *lot*. Dropping
      // the armor you're wearing could be a problem, but IMO a small one -
      // especially if we start showing which armor is being worn.

      I'm used to the WaTaWbTb... sequence from nethack and then a huge multi-drop,
      so it doesn't bother me too much... I don't even pay attention to the
      armour I'm trying till afterwards, that way I can concentrate on what the
      valid letters are. This should at least be an option (or at least ask me
      if I really want to do this).

      Brent Ross
      bwross@...
    • Brent Ross
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1 1:43 AM
        // From: David Loewenstern <loewenstern@...>
        //
        // Jesse Jones wrote:
        //
        // > It's certainly not perfect, but things should get much better when Brent
        // > gets the CVS server going. Does this mean you want the baton?
        //
        // Yeah, I think I asked for it about two weeks ago.

        Feel free to take it, I figured it was either dur to come to you or
        Brian next, and I don't have much need of it right now. Brian seems
        to have had a bit of a set back so it looks like its probably yours.

        Brent
      • Brian C. Robinson
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1 7:20 AM
          On Mon, 31 May 1999, Jesse Jones wrote:

          > From: Jesse Jones <jesjones@...>
          >
          > >BTW, has the new
          > >display code been done yet? I don't remember if I saw anything about it
          > >or not.
          >
          > I'm not entirely sure what you're refering to here, but I don't think the
          > display code has changed much.

          A while ago you were talking about how you wanted to make the
          display code more cross platform since Macs don't have the glass teletype
          interface. I was wondering if anything had been done on this so far.

          "We have just enough religion to make him mad." - MegaHAL
        • Jesse Jones
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 1 9:24 AM
            >From: "Brian C. Robinson" <bcr19374@...>
            >
            >On Mon, 31 May 1999, Jesse Jones wrote:
            >
            >> From: Jesse Jones <jesjones@...>
            >>
            >> >BTW, has the new
            >> >display code been done yet? I don't remember if I saw anything about it
            >> >or not.
            >>
            >> I'm not entirely sure what you're refering to here, but I don't think the
            >> display code has changed much.
            >>
            > A while ago you were talking about how you wanted to make the
            >display code more cross platform since Macs don't have the glass teletype
            >interface. I was wondering if anything had been done on this so far.

            Nope.

            -- Jesse
          • Jesse Jones
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 1 5:34 PM
              >From: Brent Ross <bwross@...>
              >
              >// From: Jesse Jones <jesjones@...>
              >//
              >// >I'm more concerned about accidentally dropping my worn armour instead of
              >// >the spare armour I'm dropping because of the weight. The armour
              >exchange
              >// >seems to be the correct choice (in that it removes the silly manual
              >armour
              >// >shuffle).
              >//
              >// OTOH you can now read a scroll of detect curse, wear a half dozen pieces
              >// of armor, and immediately drop the lame ones. I do this a *lot*. Dropping
              >// the armor you're wearing could be a problem, but IMO a small one -
              >// especially if we start showing which armor is being worn.
              >
              >I'm used to the WaTaWbTb... sequence from nethack and then a huge multi-drop,
              >so it doesn't bother me too much... I don't even pay attention to the
              >armour I'm trying till afterwards, that way I can concentrate on what the
              >valid letters are. This should at least be an option (or at least ask me
              >if I really want to do this).

              If dropping a wielded weapon isn't a problem why is dropping worn armor a
              problem?

              -- Jesse
            • Jesse Jones
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 1 5:34 PM
                >From: Brent Ross <bwross@...>
                >
                >// From: David Loewenstern <loewenstern@...>
                >//
                >// Jesse Jones wrote:
                >//
                >// > It's certainly not perfect, but things should get much better when Brent
                >// > gets the CVS server going. Does this mean you want the baton?
                >//
                >// Yeah, I think I asked for it about two weeks ago.
                >
                >Feel free to take it, I figured it was either dur to come to you or
                >Brian next, and I don't have much need of it right now. Brian seems
                >to have had a bit of a set back so it looks like its probably yours.

                OK David it's all yours. You can download it from onelist.com's shared
                files section.

                -- Jesse
              • Brent Ross
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 1 6:19 PM
                  // From: Jesse Jones <jesjones@...>
                  //
                  // >From: Brent Ross <bwross@...>
                  // >
                  // >// From: Jesse Jones <jesjones@...>
                  // >//
[...]

                  Actually, it has been a problem, just not as much. There are a
                  few reasons for this:

                  (1) I'm dropping large quantities of armour more often (its a more
                  effect way to drop some weight, and I typically have more armour
                  to drop (there are quite a few weapons I'll never even bother
                  with picking up).

                  (2) Odds are, my current weapon is in slot 'a'. The armour I'm
                  wearing probably doesn't have special letters. I'm not likely
                  to confuse which letter in the inventory is my current weapon.

                  (3) If I drop my weapon, I'm more likely to notice the effect in the
                  next few combats. If I drop a piece of armour, I might not notice
                  for quite a while.

                  (4) I change weapons very frequently, even early in the game I'm
                  typically up to complicated swaping systems for weapons (at least
                  something like a - best skilled, b - special, c - bow, d - training,
                  I'll have it on d if I have experience, a otherwise, and will swap b
                  and c given certain situations -- my most effective weapon is thus
                  either in hand or one swap away... and my selected utility is in the
                  other swap). Its more time expensive to change pieces of armour so
                  I don't often bother going beyond -- shield on, shield off... this
                  means I don't fidget with my armour as often, and am therefore much
                  less likely to be checking it. Jewelery depends on the game, some
                  games I'm swaping amulets and rings around with macros, others I'm
                  not even bothering. In the mid-game I'm typically checking my
                  weapon on every monster (as part of the 'How do I kill this thing?'
                  checklist between fighting, spells, and prayer), I almost never
                  bother to check the armour.

                  (5) I've accidentially dropped food rations, and had to go back and
                  grab them from the last dump... this normally happens when I'm
                  typing quickly when dropping things in bulk... so I know that
                  occasionally I'm going to have to hunt down armour.

                  Brent Ross
                  bwross@...