Re: [crawl-dev] bugs, new & old

  • Brent Ross
    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 1, 2000
      // Brent Ross wrote:
      // >
      // > // From: Josh Fishman <fishman@...>
      // > // 2) Autopickup line in config file still has 10+ lines of
      // > // instruction on how to format a 1 line option -- making
      // > // the line take "gold, corpses, wands, etc." instead
      // > // would be good.
      // >
      // > Since there is no documentation elsewhere for the feature, I like having
      // > the next easy to read table... people that are concerned with the
      // > length of the file can just delete anything they don't like and get
      // > a really small file (but the baseline one serves as documentation, and
      // > I was tempted to give it a lot more comments).
      //
      // Yes, documentation good. It's the arcane option syntax that's bad.
      // Most of the options are good -- they plainly indicate their function.
      // The autopickup line stands out.

      The option syntax of autopickup isn't really arcane... it's pretty
      standard (comes from nethack) and most of the symbols are obvious.
      Tha table stands more for a reference to verify what the user already
      knows (ie. that they can select potions for autopickup), and to
      point out that corpses and food are two separate things (so it's
      not nearly as dangerous to autopickup food as it is in nethack).
      I considered wrting a proper parser for the initfile that would
      allow lists of items for values, but it just wasn't worthwhile
      (there are only a handful of uses for it and it's not so important).

      // > // 3) Nagas who get Breathe Fire mutation: ought they be able to
      // > // both spit poison and breathe fire? I think not -- I think
      // > // that Nagas and Draconians *either* ought never get a spit
      // > // or breathe mutation *or* the mutation ought to trump their
      // > // native ability. I prefer the former.
      // >
      // > There are currently rules in the code to handle these situations (it
      // > has some trumping and power-up rules). As for Nagas breathing fire
      // > and spitting poison... there's no real problem with that... they use
      // > the same counter (if you're concerned with balance), and aren't
      // > technically exclusive (one is a gland in the mouth, the other is
      // > a mutation in the throat).
      //
      // Where I get unhappy is the implication of those two points: if the
      // second is valid (technical exclusivity) then the former ought not
      // be (shared timer): but for game purposes the former must be (due
      // to balance issues).

      The balance issue isn't that important... separating them is more
      trouble than it's worth (requires a new minor level to the savefile
      for one small number... although we've lost backwards compatiblity
      recently because of the new LOS).

      // I'd find it simpler to eliminate the chance of
      // this occuring than to deal with the resultant cognitive dissonance.
      //
      // I get especially unhappy about the idea of a white draconian getting
      // to breathe frost and fire.

      It's really not that bad. Worse is the fact that I noticed that
      breathe fire gives a bonus if the player is transformed (doesn't
      matter what: Ice Beast, Blade Hands, or Dragon)... that's a bug.

      I wouldn't make the spit attacks (poison, acid) exclusive to the
      breathe attacks in any case.

      Brent
    • mannix
      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 10, 2000