Re: [crawl-dev] Re: "Food prayers"

  • Brent Ross
    Message 1 of 72 , Jun 1, 2000
      // From: "Brian C. Robinson" <bcr19374@...>
      //
      // On Tue, 30 May 2000, Donald Brodale wrote:
      //
      // > Yet, with all this discussion of spells, spellbooks, and spell
      // > use, I cannot but think that there *should* be spells reserved
      // > for particular classes.
      // >
      // Well, there could be something like "the book of elements" that
      // contains awesome spells for each element. It could be very rare and most
      // likely to be given by one of the gods. This book could contain one or two
      // spells of each element that are really much better than anything else out
      // there.

      In a way, that's sort of what the Book of Annihilations is suppost to be...
      at least that's what I think the intent was (since it is featured in
      acquirement and as a Vehumet gift (it's the famous book referenced in
      the description)).

      Brent
    • Brent Ross
      Message 72 of 72 , Jun 6, 2000
        // From: Josh Fishman <fishman@...>
        //
        // Brent Ross wrote:
        // >
        // > // From: Josh Fishman <fishman@...>
        // [ snip ]
        // > // PS: If we did the "turn into an Efreet" version that I just
        // > // thought up, would adding Necromancy into the requisite skill
        // > // set be appropriate?
        // >
        // > Probably not. Demons (or spirits) don't fall into Dead/Undead/Alive
        // > triangle at all. In Crawl, the prerequisite magic for Demons is
        // > Summoning (there is no Spirit magic). A bit awkward, but it could be
        // > considered the channeling of a demonic spirit into the caster's own
        // > body (and thus, a highly evil spell... very naughty).
        //
        // Hmmm ... almost makes me want to re-animate the "Vitamancy"/"Demonology"
        // schools of magic debate. But not quite.
        //
        // There's a third option, which is to consider Dragons to be practically
        // elemental fire (if you blur your eyes) and call the spell Dragon Form
        // the equivalent of Ice Beast Form, Statue Form and Air Walk.

        I did have similar thoughts. It's not really an elemental form, but it
        does at least qualify as a high level elemental transformation spell, and
        that's probably good enough (why confuse people with two choices).

        Brent