Vintage Computer Festival Southeast

  • David Greelish
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
      Hi there,

      If I might please tell everyone on this list about our upcoming BIG show!

      Announcing the First Ever Vintage Computer Festival Southeast

      The original Vintage Computer Festival was founded by Sellam Ismail and held in Pleasanton, California during October, 1997. Now, finally, the southeast region of the US gets its very own!

      ROSWELL, Georgia – February 4, 2013 – Vintage Computer Festival Southeast – a public celebration of computer history and nostalgia – will be held on Saturday & Sunday, April 20 & 21. Our mission remains the same as that very first show:

      The main mission of the Vintage Computer Festival is to promote the preservation of "obsolete" computers by offering attendees a chance to experience the technologies, people and stories that embody the remarkable tale of the computer revolution.

      We will educate and entertain!

      - A large premier exhibit will welcome each attendee as they enter the festival - The Apple Pop-Up Museum which tells the story of how a small start-up company, founded in a garage by two young friends, became the leading consumer electronics and personal computer company in the world. The exhibit displays an exclusive collection of game-changing Apple personal computers and consumer electronic products while presenting the history of the company since its founding in 1976 to the present. An Apple I, the first disk ][ and controller card, original apple ][, original Lisa and even a Xerox Alto are among the rare artifacts to be displayed, plus much, much more.

      Within the 6,000 square feet of display space that this premier exhibit occupies will be the following rooms: Pre-Apple Room, Apple I Room, apple ][ Room, Turmoil Years Room, No Founders Left Room, Jobs’ Come Back Room, Ive’s Colors Room, iPod / iPhone / iPad Room, The Timeline Lounge and Apple’s Present to the Future Room.

      - Dozens of exhibitors will be present from all over the region, plus many from other parts of the country. A large variety of historic computers will be represented in the exhibit hall for live demonstrations by their owners.

      - A vintage game station will be available for children and adults to play classic games on classic computer and game console systems.

      - Two retrocomputing kit building classes will be held, plus continual, inexpensive introduction to soldering classes.

      - Many luminous speakers and special presenters are now being scheduled.

      The VCFSE is hosted and produced by the Computer Museum of America and the Atlanta Historical Computing Society.

      One-day adult tickets to the VCFSE are $10, with a two-day pass for $15. Children ages 17 and younger are admitted free when accompanied by a parent or guardian. For hours, location, and other details, please visit vintage.org/2013/southeast

      Contact:

      David Greelish, Director, Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0

      david@... | 770-733-6702

      Best,

      David Greelish
      - Computer Historian, Writer, Podcaster & Speaker
      - Founder of the Atlanta Historical Computing Society

      http://about.me/davidgreelish

      Director of the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21, 2013

      http://vintage.org/2013/southeast/
    • Bee Dee
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
        Sounds cool. I would go to all of these events if I could.
        I wanted to do one for the west coast, CRAVCon, but I wasn't able to do it.
        Maybe some day.

        Good luck with yours. Don't forget to take a lot of photos and videos
        to share with everyone who can't make it.

        If you can create a "Virtual Con" that is almost a walk-through of the
        event, that would be nice. (long shots, medium shots, close-ups, etc...)
        And interviews with the exhibitors and attendees, with commentary for
        those who may not know what they're looking at.

        --- In cravcomp@yahoogroups.com, David Greelish wrote:

        > Hi there,
        >
        > If I might please tell everyone on this list about our upcoming BIG show!
        >
        > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        >
        > Announcing the First Ever Vintage Computer Festival Southeast
        {snip}
      • David Greelish
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
          On Feb 5, 2013, at 3:37 PM, "Bee Dee" <bd@...> wrote:

          > Sounds cool. I would go to all of these events if I could.
          > I wanted to do one for the west coast, CRAVCon, but I wasn't able to do it.
          > Maybe some day.

          Hi, is your full name Bee Dee? Don't give up, here's part of my signature now:

          Director of the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21, 2013

          And here's that part when I first started adding it sometime in mid 2009:

          Classic Computing Expo
          (planning / working towards late summer 2010)

          > Good luck with yours. Don't forget to take a lot of photos and videos
          > to share with everyone who can't make it.

          Thanks, yes, we will.

          > If you can create a "Virtual Con" that is almost a walk-through of the
          > event, that would be nice. (long shots, medium shots, close-ups, etc...)
          > And interviews with the exhibitors and attendees, with commentary for
          > those who may not know what they're looking at.

          That's a very interesting idea, just maybe, or at least a series of panoramas.