CRAV Computing Facebook Page

  • Bee Dee
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2013
      https://www.facebook.com/CRAVComputing

      Like us.

      Website in the near-ish future.
    • Bee Dee
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2013
        Bump. I just spent way too much time making a cover image for the
        facebook page. It's a little busy here and there (too much stuff happened
        in the 1970's, especially with smaller computers), but the hi-res
        version lets you see most things pretty well so they are recognizable.

        We should have a contest to see who can find the most items and name
        them correctly. If we had more people, that would be interesting.
        Maybe someday.

        --- In cravcomp@yahoogroups.com, "Bee Dee" <bd@...> wrote:

        > https://www.facebook.com/CRAVComputing
        >
        > Like us.
        >
        > Website in the near-ish future.
      • David Greelish
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 11, 2013
          On Mar 11, 2013, at 9:56 PM, "Bee Dee" <bill@...> wrote:

          > Bump. I just spent way too much time making a cover image for the
          > facebook page. It's a little busy here and there (too much stuff happened
          > in the 1970's, especially with smaller computers), but the hi-res
          > version lets you see most things pretty well so they are recognizable.
          >
          > We should have a contest to see who can find the most items and name
          > them correctly. If we had more people, that would be interesting.
          > Maybe someday.

          Hey, have you thought about flying out and attending the VCFSE?

          Best,

          David Greelish, Computer Historian
          http://about.me/davidgreelish

          Director of the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21, 2013
          http://vintage.org/2013/southeast/

          Featuring an Apple Pop-Up Museum!
        • Bee Dee
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 13, 2013
            Yes, I would like to, but I can't. I'd be lucky to be able to attend
            a California event. (which, afaik, we don't have -- I had planned on
            doing a CRAVCon, but that fell through -- might happen some day)

            If it wasn't you I mentioned it to, it would be nice if "someone"
            would basically go through from table to table and take some nice
            photos, medium shots and close-ups, and other interesting photos here
            and there around the Con, and also do some short video-doc interviews,
            or at least some interviews that can be added as text commentary, and
            then post them as sort of a virtual con attendance page, for those
            many who will not be able to attend.

            Every Con should do that. And also partly as a historic record.
            AND as AMP, because it might get people more interested in attending
            the next one if they see what they missed out on. Seeing it online is
            better than nothing, but it's nothing like actually being there.

            Good luck on the Con. I wish I could go. Although I don't fly, anyway,
            so I would have to take the train. Which is usually cheaper or about
            the same price, it just takes longer.

            I did think about submitting some sort of a semi-virtual, or remotely
            installed CRAV table. If someone would set it up for me. If I created
            the presentation and mailed it to you or whomever. It probably wouldn't
            cost too much. I was thinking no hardware, just something like a
            science fair presentation backdrop, or thereabouts. Mostly informational.
            Let me know if there's a possibility of doing that.

            (I also think more Cons should offer something like that -- it would
            make you a little more money, and also make it bigger, and have more
            stuff to see and such, which is usually nice, unless you're so big
            that you don't need that, like Comic-Con, etc.)

            {snip}

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 13, 2013
              > Yes, I would like to, but I can't. I'd be lucky to be able to attend
              > a California event. (which, afaik, we don't have -- I had planned on
              > doing a CRAVCon, but that fell through -- might happen some day)

              Yes, don't give up, it's taken me years to get things off the ground here.

              > If it wasn't you I mentioned it to, it would be nice if "someone"
              > would basically go through from table to table and take some nice
              > photos, medium shots and close-ups, and other interesting photos here
              > and there around the Con, and also do some short video-doc interviews,
              > or at least some interviews that can be added as text commentary, and
              > then post them as sort of a virtual con attendance page, for those
              > many who will not be able to attend.

              Yes, exactly, we're going to do as much of that as possible!

              > Every Con should do that. And also partly as a historic record.
              > AND as AMP, because it might get people more interested in attending
              > the next one if they see what they missed out on. Seeing it online is
              > better than nothing, but it's nothing like actually being there.
              >
              > Good luck on the Con. I wish I could go. Although I don't fly, anyway,
              > so I would have to take the train. Which is usually cheaper or about
              > the same price, it just takes longer.
              >
              > I did think about submitting some sort of a semi-virtual, or remotely
              > installed CRAV table. If someone would set it up for me. If I created
              > the presentation and mailed it to you or whomever. It probably wouldn't
              > cost too much. I was thinking no hardware, just something like a
              > science fair presentation backdrop, or thereabouts. Mostly informational.
              > Let me know if there's a possibility of doing that.

              Well, that I would not go for, sorry. Even with a table with hardware, etc., it needs to have a person(s) behind it. It's the passion for the exhibit, the meaning relayed by the person. History is ultimately about people and cultural impact, not just things. It would also be kinda boring for attendees! ; )