458Re: Updatling Windows

  • hapelchill
    Nov 20, 2008
      It is also not a bad idea to go ahead and expand the "window hole" as
      todays homeowners value large windows (more natural light). This
      could also pay dividends for re-sale value.

      ---------------------------------------
      Got a Home Improvement Issue? visit:
      http://www.homeimprovementadvisors.com

      --- In craftsmanhome@yahoogroups.com, "greene98360" <greene98360@...>
      wrote:

      > After shopping around with a friend, it seems as if replacement
      windows
      > tend to come in "contractor" or "custom" versions. "Contractor"
      > versions are pre-sized to newer sizes than what many of us with
      older
      > homes have. "Custom" windows are what many of us are forced to buy
      if,
      > we want to be able to plop the purchased window into our existing
      > "window holes". Changing the size of your windows, which requires
      > enlarging or reducing the existing "window hole" and much more, can
      > actually reduce over-all costs; particularly if you are doing the
      labor.
      > Likewise, "custom" windows are often windows with more upper-end
      > features; in your case the mid-window hinge for easy cleaning.
      Where
      > the cost of replacing windows starts to get seriously hefty is in
      the
      > installation costs despite the cost of the actual window.
      >

      > --- In craftsmanhome@yahoogroups.com, "usa_the_game" <usa_the_game@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Where did you go to get your windows priced? That is a lot of
      money
      > > for windows. If you are looking for aluminum windows with low
      energy
      > > glass go by Home Depot. I got mine there and I did not have to
      pay to
      > > much. They even had grilles on them. They come in either bronze,
      > > white, or aluminum mill color. They averaged around 100 bucks.
      > >
      > > Rolando
      > >
      > > --- In craftsmanhome@yahoogroups.com, "Have A_nice_day"
      > > halfof4is2@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I have the old 1930's type windows that slide up and down. I
      saw one
      > > > time where you can weather strip them yourself, which I did to
      my
      > > > bathroom window. I live in a moderate climate. I hate to shell
      out
      > > > $350+ each for custom windows. They don't sell them anyhwhere
      near
      > my
      > > > size in stock.
      > > >
      > > > I'm wondering if anyone has invented a way to alter it so that
      the
      > > > window can be removed or tilted out for cleaning. I'm on a
      second
      > > > floor and I have arthritis and can't climb a ladder.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic