455Re: Removing tile

  • dwcheeks
    Nov 14, 2008
      Beth,
      It depends. If you are not going to put new tile back up, I would do
      what they call a "skim coat" of sheet rock mud over the brown areas.
      Basically, you just take a wide putty knife and sheet rock mud and
      apply a very thin coat over the brown areas. This way your walls are
      flat and even. If you are going to use put new tile back up using
      grout, there is no need to put a skim coat on, because the grout will
      fill in the uneven areas. Hope this helps.

      Darrell
      --- In craftsmanhome@yahoogroups.com, Beth <danbeth@...> wrote:

      > hello, We are getting new counter tops in our kitchen. I am now
      > removing all the old tile on the wall behind it that were glued on.
      > It is removing the top white layer of paper on the wall board. My
      > question is..... Do I need to now replace the wallboard? or is it
      > alright to place the new tile over this brown paper layer?
      > I hope I don't confuse you too much :)
      >
      > Thank you!!
      >
      > Beth

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic