wrinkles in sail

  • big2gator
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2006
      I bought a CR-914 that had been stored for a long time with the sails
      rigged up. The main sail has a lot of wrinkles. What is the best way
      to take these wrinklesout. Thanks,
    • Robert Suydam
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2006
        Lot's of sailing in heavy air! ;)

        big2gator <big2gator@...> wrote: I bought a CR-914 that had been stored for a long time with the sails
        rigged up. The main sail has a lot of wrinkles. What is the best way
        to take these wrinklesout. Thanks,

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2006
          Put the sails between two towels and iron them flat. Be careful, and
          slowly increase the heat. I have done it, and it works.

          Geoff Becker

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 2006
            Big Gator,

            I also bought a second boat on E-bay and the sails were quite wrinkled.
            I thought about this for while and came up short. I do not have the specs on the sail material so I was not sure on the detrimental effect.
            I ultimatly sailed the boat all summer and let nature fix the issue.
            The effects on the boat speed were very small with the wrinkled sails. Although, psycologicly I felt I was at a disadvantage. Maybe this helped me sail smarter.
            Alternitives I considered.
            Best, buy a new set of sails from Dave Ramos at RCYACHTS.com $30.00 for all you need $60.00 ready to go.
            Low Cost

            Idea 1 is the safest but not tried. I was thinking of just wetting the sails on the mast with the outhauls tight and the sheets tight. Then letting the sails air dry. This will take many repeat efforts but shoud be safe for the sails.

            Idea 2 also untried, was to take the sails off the boat and wash the sails by hand with a mild dish wasing detergent rinse and let hang with or without weights.
            RISK I do not know if there is a sizing on the sails that can be removed with the detergent. The body of the sail might be lost. Then you are back to the best buy a new set.

            Idea 3 also untried has a higher risk of damaging the sails. Ironing the sails back into shape.
            If I was doing this I would take a cloth dish towl and wet it first. Appling the dish towl over the sails on the ironing board and the Iron on low heat I would start with a small section and see if the miost heat did the trick.

            Rememer I am a coward and sailed the boat untill the sail shap came back this took most of the season.
            Good Luck

            Brian Jobson
            867, 1386

            I bought a CR-914 that had been stored for a long time with the sails
            rigged up. The main sail has a lot of wrinkles. What is the best way
            to take these wrinklesout. Thanks,

          • Bob Rosenbaum
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 9, 2006
              For $29 and about 6 hours of work, you can put on a brand new set of sails. I found that after two years of hard use, my sails were looking shapeless. I replaced them and I swear the boat has been notably faster ever since.

              Bob Rosenbaum
              1160