Boom Ring String

  • B. Jobson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2006
      Hi All
      I read about string re-enforcement of our boom rings. This sounded
      great since I have split 3-4 rings over the years (One at the most
      recent mid winters). The how to do this was less than instructive.
      This is how I did it I have included photos in the photos section.

      I have a small drill press as well as a Dremil tool. The Dremil tool
      rpm was to high to control the cutting. However, the cutting disc was
      the perfect tool.

      I made a small wood block with a close-pin CAed to one side. This
      made a stable and easily leveled working plane. I held the close-pin
      in a small vise and could level the block without difficulty.

      I then rough adjusted the height of the block to the Dremil cutting
      disc, that was in the drill press chuck.

      Putting the boom ring flat on the wood block I fine adjusted the
      height of the cutting disc in the chuck and tightened the disc in
      place.
      You want a relatively slow rpm 300-500 rpm. This is fast enough to
      cut the plastic with control of the boom ring under your finger.
      Cut a shallow channel around the boom ring.

      I use 80lb spectra fishing line from "Power Pro" ( I also used this
      for my standing rigging). Cut a piece of line approximately 10-12
      inches long. Tie a small knot at each end this is to prevent slipping
      when you tighten the spectra around the boom ring.

      I used a small vise grip to hold one end of the line with the small
      knot in the jaws.

      Then tie a large over hand knot in the line and place the boom ring
      inside the knot. You need to anchor the vise grip I used a second
      small wood vise on my bench. A clamp or other method is fine as long
      as you can't pull it free.

      I used pliers on the other end of the string (my son lost my other
      vise grips) and tightened the knot around the boom ring. At this
      point you can adjust the boom ring in the knot so the knot is at the
      top of the boom ring. Increase the tension of the knot and add a
      small drop of thin CA glue. If you have CA accelerator a small drop
      or one misting will set the CA.

      Clean the accelerator with a paper towel and using a razor blade
      (exacto blade) cut the excess string off the boom ring.

      Finished

      Good Luck and fair winds.
      Brian Jobson