Re: Radio Replacement

  • Denny Hanson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2006
      --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Salerno" <scottsalerno@h...>
      wrote:

      > I am looking to replace the Hitec RangerII radio that came with my kit
      > & have been looking at the Hitec Laser & Futaba Skysport 4 channel FM
      > units. I've Futaba radios in the past when I raced r/c cars & have
      > always been happy with them.
      >
      > The only advantages I see with the Hitec is I might not need to
      > replace the hi-torque servo?? Also, where I just started racing
      > (Larchmont) have crystals for Hitec radios. Any assistance would be
      > greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > -Scott Salerno

      Scott,
      There is nothing wrong with the Ranger III Hitec, it is FM 3 channel
      and I have used it for four years with my CR 914. It is very
      economical at around $80, but it is FM and a very good radio for
      sailing. It even has a third channel to use with boats allowing a
      third channel.
    • milkmustache
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2006
        --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Thompson" <jimthompson@l...>
        wrote:

        > --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Salerno"
        <scottsalerno@h...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I am looking to replace the Hitec RangerII radio that came with
        my kit
        > > & have been looking at the Hitec Laser & Futaba Skysport 4
        channel FM
        > > units. I've Futaba radios in the past when I raced r/c cars &
        have
        > > always been happy with them.
        > >
        > > The only advantages I see with the Hitec is I might not need to
        > > replace the hi-torque servo?? Also, where I just started racing
        > > (Larchmont) have crystals for Hitec radios. Any assistance
        would be
        > > greatly appreciated.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > -Scott Salerno
        > >

        > Scott,
        >
        > As long as the Larchmont crystals are FM then a Hitec or Futaba
        will
        > work fine. They are both Negative shift receivers and have
        > interchangable crystals. BUT, you have to make sure that the LMYC
        > crystals are FM. Also, any servo made in the last 8-10 years will
        > work with ANY receiver. The only exception are older Airtronics
        > servos. As long as it is a 3 wire servo you can mix and match
        brands.

        > Something else to consider is the Spektrum DX6 ($199). Way more
        than
        > you need for a 2 ch CR914 (it has 6 channels), but I use it for my
        > planes and boats. It uses 2.4 gHz so is except from the 72/75 mHz
        > issues, and does not EVER need a crystal. You can have up to 40
        DX6's
        > on at the same time and they will not interfere with each other.
        As
        > you may know 2.4 gHz is the same frequency band as Wifi routers,
        > access points, etc.
        >
        > I like the looks of the Laser 4, but I would suggest you get the
        feel
        > for it before you buy either. I tried the Laser 4 last spring and
        it
        > felt very BIG in my hands. Just not comfortable for me.
        >
        > Hope this helps
        > Jim
        >
        > CR914 - # 701

        Hey Jim,

        What servo do you use for the sheet on your boat with the Spektrum?
        Can you use any servo or only Spektrum DSS servos?

        Dave