RE: [CR 914 Class] Rigging the CR-914

  • Dick Martin
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2005
      Happy New Year, Jim.

      The CR 914 class has fairly strict one-design rules to ensure that winning
      or losing races depends entirely on the skipper's skills instead of the sort
      of "arms race" that is the norm in many classes (incidentally, I much prefer
      the wording 'true one-design,' since we do allow some minor modifications
      that can improve the reliability of the boat). The class rules will probably
      answer your questions. You can read and download them at our class website:
      http://www.cr914class.org/class_rules.php. Specifically look at 11 - Running
      Rigging, and Interpretation 7.

      I understand your disagreement with the way the designer of the CR 914 and
      the class builders have set up the running rigging--there are a number of
      things I would design differently if I had my druthers, and if I didn't
      believe so strongly in the advantages of the true one-design philosophy. But
      you will find that our rigging works just fine and needs no modifications in
      order to make the boat perform very well in all conditions. (Incidentally
      our class membership includes several top-notch EC-12 sailors, who have
      found no compelling reasons to want to modify the 914's running rigging.)
      If, however, after sailing your boat with the rigging as shown in the
      building instructions and specified in the class rules, you still want to
      make modifications (ones that will not improve the performance of your boat
      and give it a significant competitive advantage) you are welcome to submit
      your idea(s) to the class Measurer and Advisory Committee for consideration.
      Before you do, however, be sure to read the Criteria for Rule
      Interpretations in the preamble to the Interpretations section of the class
      rules.

      I find that you have not yet registered your boat with the CR 914 class. I
      hope that you plan to do so, and that you will want to subscribe to our
      class communications including our quarterly newsletter, the CRonicle, in
      which you will find a treasure-trove of tips to help you enjoy sailing and
      racing your new 914. You can download a PDF file of the registration and
      subscription form from our website as well, specifically at
      http://www.cr914class.org/pdfs/registration_form.pdf.

      Congratulations on your new 914; you're gonna love it. And please let me
      know if I can be of any other help.

      Dick Martin
      CR 914 Class Secretary
      rhm@...
      Visit the CR 914 Class website at www.cr914class.org
      <http://www.cr914class.org/>
      - May all your tacks be lifted -

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 31, 2005
        Hi Jim,

        I know Dick Martin (our class secretary) will chime in here but you are not allowed to alter the sheeting system if you want to race on a Regional or National level. Any alterations that might give an unfair advantage for either or both performance and or strength are considered not allowed under our current guidelines.

        What are you finding wrong with the way it is set up?

        BR,

        Chuck Luscomb

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
          Hi Chuck! I guess I should have read the class rules a bit closer
          before asking the question but I'm really frustrated (with no
          examples to go by) with the way the jib sheet has to feed around the
          mast. I can't get the jib to fly out to starboard on a run. When
          adjusted for both port and starboard the jib attachment location
          becomes too loose for the rig to still adjust for close hauled .
          when going down wind. I just don't know what else to do. Is there
          any way to have someone take a few close up photos of their boats
          and how the running rigging is setup? I've looked at the photos on
          the site but none of them show sufficient details to clarify the
          rigging instructions. Thanks.

          Jim

          --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Luscomb" <cluscomb@l...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Jim,
          >
          > I know Dick Martin (our class secretary) will chime in here but
          you are not allowed to alter the sheeting system if you want to race
          on a Regional or National level. Any alterations that might give an
          unfair advantage for either or both performance and or strength are
          considered not allowed under our current guidelines.

          > What are you finding wrong with the way it is set up?
          >
          > BR,
          >
          > Chuck Luscomb

        • cbmra
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 5, 2006
            Jim,

            Have you taken a look at the Builder Page at RCYACHTS.com?

            http://www.rcyachts.com/Builders.htm

            The rigging method is very solid (in fact I have seen a few Vitorrias
            adopt it) and I have no trouble going wing on wing on any tack. I
            think that the pictures will be of great help.

            Also feel free to contact Dave Ramos with questions. Yo can locate
            him at Chesapeake Performace Models..www.rcyachts.com

            Ernest

            --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "James Carter" <propa@b...> wrote:

            > Hi Chuck! I guess I should have read the class rules a bit closer
            > before asking the question but I'm really frustrated (with no
            > examples to go by) with the way the jib sheet has to feed around
            the
            > mast. I can't get the jib to fly out to starboard on a run. When
            > adjusted for both port and starboard the jib attachment location
            > becomes too loose for the rig to still adjust for close hauled .
            > when going down wind. I just don't know what else to do. Is there
            > any way to have someone take a few close up photos of their boats
            > and how the running rigging is setup? I've looked at the photos on
            > the site but none of them show sufficient details to clarify the
            > rigging instructions. Thanks.
            >
            > Jim
            >
            > --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Luscomb" <cluscomb@l...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Jim,
            > >
            > > I know Dick Martin (our class secretary) will chime in here but
            > you are not allowed to alter the sheeting system if you want to
            race
            > on a Regional or National level. Any alterations that might give
            an
            > unfair advantage for either or both performance and or strength are
            > considered not allowed under our current guidelines.
            > >
            > > What are you finding wrong with the way it is set up?
            > >
            > > BR,
            > >
            > > Chuck Luscomb

          • Chuck Luscomb
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 5, 2006
              Hi Jim,

              Why don't you e-mail me off line at cluscomb@lewmarusa,com and we can discuss what might be causing the problem.

              Best,

              Chuck

              wrote:

              > Hi Jim,
              >
              > I know Dick Martin (our class secretary) will chime in here but
              you are not allowed to alter the sheeting system if you want to race
              on a Regional or National level. Any alterations that might give an
              unfair advantage for either or both performance and or strength are
              considered not allowed under our current guidelines.

              > What are you finding wrong with the way it is set up?
              >
              > BR,
              >
              > Chuck Luscomb

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Dick Martin
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2006
                I'm sure Chuck Luscomb will solve your problem, Jim. You may also find the
                CR 914 Tuning Guide, which you will receive in your registration package
                when you register your boat with the class but which I will also email to
                you as a PDF attachment, helpful, both for your problem with the adjustment
                of the jib sheet and a bunch of other not always intuitive tuning-related
                issues.

                Visit the CR 914 Class website at www.cr914class.org
                <http://www.cr914class.org/>
                - May all your tacks be lifted -

                _____

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 5, 2006
                  Thanks! Will double check the site. I must have missed something.

                  Jim

                  --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, cbmra <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                  > Jim,
                  >
                  > Have you taken a look at the Builder Page at RCYACHTS.com?
                  >
                  > http://www.rcyachts.com/Builders.htm
                  >
                  > The rigging method is very solid (in fact I have seen a few
                  Vitorrias
                  > adopt it) and I have no trouble going wing on wing on any tack. I
                  > think that the pictures will be of great help.
                  >
                  > Also feel free to contact Dave Ramos with questions. Yo can locate
                  > him at Chesapeake Performace Models..www.rcyachts.com
                  >
                  > Ernest
                  >
                  > --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "James Carter" <propa@b...>
                  wrote:

                  > > Hi Chuck! I guess I should have read the class rules a bit
                  closer
                  > > before asking the question but I'm really frustrated (with no
                  > > examples to go by) with the way the jib sheet has to feed around
                  > the
                  > > mast. I can't get the jib to fly out to starboard on a run.
                  When
                  > > adjusted for both port and starboard the jib attachment location
                  > > becomes too loose for the rig to still adjust for close
                  hauled .
                  > > when going down wind. I just don't know what else to do. Is
                  there
                  > > any way to have someone take a few close up photos of their
                  boats
                  > > and how the running rigging is setup? I've looked at the photos
                  on
                  > > the site but none of them show sufficient details to clarify the
                  > > rigging instructions. Thanks.
                  > >
                  > > Jim
                  > >
                  > > --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Luscomb"
                  <cluscomb@l...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi Jim,
                  > > >
                  > > > I know Dick Martin (our class secretary) will chime in here
                  but
                  > > you are not allowed to alter the sheeting system if you want to
                  > race
                  > > on a Regional or National level. Any alterations that might
                  give
                  > an
                  > > unfair advantage for either or both performance and or strength
                  are
                  > > considered not allowed under our current guidelines.
                  > > >
                  > > > What are you finding wrong with the way it is set up?
                  > > >
                  > > > BR,
                  > > >
                  > > > Chuck Luscomb

                • James Carter
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 5, 2006
                    WILCO!

                    wrote:

                    > Hi Jim,
                    >
                    > Why don't you e-mail me off line at cluscomb@lewmarusa,com and we
                    can discuss what might be causing the problem.

                    > Best,
                    >
                    > Chuck

                  • James Carter
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 5, 2006