Getting the boat back out

  • thomp237
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 7, 2004
      All,

      I am dragging my CR914 back out of the closet after a 2 year hiatus
      when I only sailed full sized boats.

      In trying to get up to speed I have started rereading CR914 News
      articles on tune/etc. Has rig setup/tune changed while I was gone?
      Have then been any major rules changes I need to be aware of?

      Also, almost 2.5 years ago I posted the picture here of the Lego Loos
      gauge. I never got mine finished (the one in the pic is from Europe)
      and Lego stopped making the right Legos. Has anyone developed
      something similar that is repeatable?

      Ernie - I am trying to line up coming to MD for Nats. If you have
      forgotten the name, my brother and I came to Larchmont from MI a
      couple of times.

      Later
      Jim Thompson
      CR914 # 701
    • Dick Martin
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 9, 2004
        There have been no changes to the class rules since they were last revised
        in 2000, Jim. You can find a copy on the AMYA website, at
        http://www.amya.org/cr914.html#Rules.

        Nor has anyone come up with any radical new tuning ideas. I recently
        compiled a step-by-step Tuning Guide (aimed primarily at new owners, but
        based upon measurements and descriptions of how class champions have tuned
        their boats) from several articles that have been published in the class
        newsletter over the last 7 years, and included it in the latest issue of the
        newsletter (Issue 43, September 2004). If you'll give me your email address
        I'll be glad to send you a PDF file of it (this Yahoo Listserv doesn't post
        a person's email address with his/her message, nor, as far as I know, does
        it accept attachments like the Tuning Guide PDF).

        I have seen a couple of attempts made to design and build a mini-Loos
        gauge-like device for '914s, but none that were very successful. To my
        knowledge, none of the top guns in the class take that approach to tuning
        their CR 914s. If you come up with something that works, send me a
        description and pictures and we'll publish it in the newsletter.

        Dick Martin
        CR 914 Class Secretary
        rhm@...

        _____

        I am dragging my CR914 back out of the closet after a 2 year hiatus
        when I only sailed full sized boats.

        In trying to get up to speed I have started rereading CR914 News
        articles on tune/etc. Has rig setup/tune changed while I was gone?
        Have then been any major rules changes I need to be aware of?

        Also, almost 2.5 years ago I posted the picture here of the Lego Loos
        gauge. I never got mine finished (the one in the pic is from Europe)
        and Lego stopped making the right Legos. Has anyone developed
        something similar that is repeatable?

        Ernie - I am trying to line up coming to MD for Nats. If you have
        forgotten the name, my brother and I came to Larchmont from MI a
        couple of times.

        Later
        Jim Thompson
        CR914 # 701

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296o4mkd/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705063527:HM/EXP=1097438144/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
        anion.yahoo.com> click here

        :HM/A=2128215/rand=601754106>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • thomp237
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 13, 2004
          Thanks for the info Dick.

          I found your tuning guide on the m3sc site.

          I have made one change to my boat that people might like. I have
          never liked the steel push rod steering linkage. I always thought it
          was ugly and flexed too much. So, I made a new one from some carbon
          rod (need to measure OD). I then cut a 1/2" long piece of alum rod
          (ID = Carbon OD) to protect the ends of the carbon. The ID on the
          carbon is ~2-56 so I used 2-56 threaded rod (about 1") and threaded
          it half way in. The rest is used to thread on a 2-56 ball cup. 2 x
          2-56 ball studs on the rudder quadrant and the servo arm and presto -
          cool, new carbon steering linkage.

          Also, I looked - the rules say
          "13. Rudder Linkage ­ Ref. CR 914 NEWS May-June 2000

          Pull-pull rudder linkage systems, using two wires to connect the
          servo to the rudder, is not legal. Only the Push-Pull single rod
          system is legal."

          The only other modifications I had to make was to the steering wheels
          (bigger hole in support to accomodate larger OD rod) and the point
          where the rod exits the interior of the boat. Nothing major.

          If anyone finds this intriguing, let me know and I can give you more
          detailed measurements. Everything to build 2 of these cost me about
          $10 at the local hobby shop.

          See you in MD
          JT
        • Dick Martin
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 13, 2004
            Jim, please email to me your email address so that I can communicate with
            you directly. I have tried the address that you have posted on the Yahoo
            website, but your msu.edu email server bounces messages that I send there,
            saying "local delivery failed...Disk quota exceeded."

            Dick Martin
            CR 914 Class Secretary

            _____

[...]

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129l2ejl2/M=315388.5497957.6576270.3001176/D=gr
            oups/S=1705063527:HM/EXP=1097770190/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https://www
            .orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS> click
            here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=315388.5497957.6576270.3001176/D=groups/S=
            :HM/A=2372354/rand=952349605>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Atwood, John
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 13, 2004
              Remember JT that it said "Wire" Not carbon! What comes in the kit must be
              used... Nothing else. John

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 13, 2004
                Dick
                The other trick is to use a plastic push rod with a plastic sheath, same as
                used in aircraft for rudder and evivator. The sheath can be sealed at the
                enterance into the hull making ths a better water tight system. I feel the major
                point where water is getting into the hull in big air is at this area. Since
                I have sealed the system the boat is much dryer. Still a bit of water from
                the exit point of the main and jib sheets.

              • Dick Martin
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 14, 2004
                  I am posting this message here with the Yahoo CR 914 group to let everyone
                  know that the class Advisory Committee has serious concerns about the
                  legality of the pushrod modification described by Jim Thompson; we began
                  actively discussing this issue by email moments after Jim's message about it
                  appeared here. I have talked with Jim about our concerns. The AdCom will
                  issue an interpretation as soon as we have completed our deliberations.

                  Everyone, please note that Class Rule 1 states that "unless the class rules
                  specifically permit a modification to the boat as the boat is defined by the
                  kit, an owner shall assume it is not permitted."

                  Someone who proposes to make any modification that departs from the plans
                  and materials supplied in the kit should ask the class for an interpretation
                  before proceeding further. The way to do that is to contact the Class
                  Secretary (me, at rhm@...); I will confer with the members of the
                  Advisory Committee; and the Class Measurer (Chuck Winder) or I will notify
                  the proposer of our decision as soon as possible.

                  Please also be aware that the published compilation of our class rules
                  interpretations (see reference below) states in its section on Criteria for
                  Rule Interpretations that "1. An interpretation must be consistent with the
                  letter and/or intent of the class rules. 2. An interpretation must not offer
                  the potential of improved performance. 3. An interpretation that improves
                  boat reliability without improving performance may be considered for
                  approval."

                  Anyone who is interested can find the class rules posted on the Internet at
                  <http://www.amya.org/cr914.html#Rules>
                  http://www.amya.org/cr914.html#Rules). All interpretations of the rules to
                  date have been published in the class newsletter, the CR 914 NEWS.
                  Interpretations prior to July, 2000 were compiled in Issue 34, pp 4-5,
                  April-July 2002 - available in PDF format at
                  <http://www.amya.org/cr914/914news/914newsissue34.pdf>
                  http://www.amya.org/cr914/914news/914newsissue34.pdf; and three subsequent
                  interpretations were published in Issue 39, p 3, June-Nov 2003 -
                  <http://www.amya.org/cr914/914news/914newsissue39.pdf>
                  http://www.amya.org/cr914/914news/914newsissue39.pdf.

                  I will post a message here announcing the AdCom's decision about Jim's
                  carbon fiber push rod.

                  Dick Martin
                  CR 914 Class Secretary

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 14, 2004
                    Hello All,
                    My fellow cr sailor here in Bay City, MI was talking about using
                    the plastic pushrod within the sheath and I mentioned the fact that
                    it might not be legal. He still has not put it on his boat but does
                    have the parts and is ready to go. If you could let the forum know
                    if this would be legal would be a great help. It is an awsome idea,
                    legal or not. Thanks! John Kuhn

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 15, 2004
                      Did you see the message about this that I posted here on 10/14, John?

                      When the CR 914 class Advisory Committee has finished its deliberations
                      about the legality of both of the alternative push rods that have been
                      described here in the last few days (the carbon fiber rod described by Jim
                      Thompson, who lives in Michigan, and the "plastic push rod with a plastic
                      sheath" described by Brian Jobson/ beejay@... who lives in Connecticut
                      or at least did when he registered his boat with the class) we will announce
                      our interpretations here. (I'm unsure about which specific sailor/push rod
                      you are referring to.)

                      I have invited both Jim and Brian to send to the AdCom further information
                      about their push rods and request interpretations about their legality, but
                      neither of them has responded to my messages as yet. Until the AdCom hears
                      from them, it would not be fair for us to make an interpretation about the
                      legality of either one based only on what they posted on this listserve.

                      In the mean time I advise everyone to sit tight before starting to copy
                      either of these pushrod ideas, to take seriously Class Rule 1 which states
                      that "unless the class rules specifically permit a modification to the boat
                      as the boat is defined by the kit, an owner shall assume it is not
                      permitted", and to contact me (at rhm@..., not via this list
                      serve) to request that the AdCom make an interpretation about legality
                      before carrying out modifications that have not already been ruled upon and

                      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ltmkle/M=315388.5500238.6578046.3001176/D=gr
                      oups/S=1705063527:HM/EXP=1097954895/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https://www
                      .orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS> click
                      here

                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=315388.5500238.6578046.3001176/D=groups/S=
                      :HM/A=2372354/rand=427201713>

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 15, 2004
                        I keep my boat legal for racing at both the regional and national level. I
                        think you will find that the local fleet is more tolerant to non performance
                        changes. I have a friend who mounted a Tupperware cover over the electronics
                        hatch. It does not make the boat go faster but he thinks it keeps more water
                        out. I do not think anyone in our local fleet would complain about the
                        changes.
                        However, my main sheeting ring was found to be a bit on the large side at
                        the nationals and I was asked to change it to a size that would fit the
                        measurements. I had no problem with the decision to keep the boat legal to the
                        letter. I changed the fitting and went racing.
                        I think low cost ideas that can improve the boat but do not improve the
                        performance are a good thing to talk about. These could be legal one day if the
                        committee decides to write an amendment to the existing rules.
                        BJ

                      • dr_scud
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                          Sailors:
                          I have found that I can keep the water out by using a DU-Bro
                          Waterproof Push Rod Seal #3801. Works great and it's legal.
                          Dr Scud.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 22, 2004
                            At my request, Jim Thompson this week submitted to the class Advisory
                            Committee further details and pictures of the carbon fiber push rod
                            modification that he discussed here on October 13, and requested an
                            interpretation about its legality under the class one-design rules.

                            It is clear that it was not Jim's primary intent to make his boat go
                            faster. Nevertheless the AdCom has ruled that his modification is not
                            permissible, because the greater stiffness of carbon fiber as compared to
                            the stock kit stainless steel pushrod has the potential to slightly improve
                            the performance of the boat.

                            Shortly after Jim posted the message about his push rod, Brian Jobson
                            posted a brief description of another push rod modification. I then asked
                            Brian if he wanted the AdCom to make an interpretation about his design, but
                            in his reply he told me that he did not wish to make a formal request for
                            approval of the modification that he had designed but had not yet
                            implemented.

                            Although it has taken a considerable amount of my time and that of the
                            other members of the AdCom for the past week, this has been a worthwhile
                            endeavor. Thank you, Jim and Brian, for contributing your ideas, and to the
                            others who joined in the discussion.

                            Dick Martin
                            CR 914 Class Secretary

                          • ned_glenn
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 5, 2008
                              Sounds good. I'll see if I can get it to fit.

                              --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "dr_scud" <dr_scud@...> wrote:

                              > Sailors:
                              > I have found that I can keep the water out by using a DU-Bro
                              > Waterproof Push Rod Seal #3801. Works great and it's legal.
                              > Dr Scud.
                              >

                              > --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "John Kuhn" <tsunami38@m...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > Hello All,
                              > > My fellow cr sailor here in Bay City, MI was talking about using
                              > > the plastic pushrod within the sheath and I mentioned the fact that
                              > > it might not be legal. He still has not put it on his boat but does
                              > > have the parts and is ready to go. If you could let the forum know
                              > > if this would be legal would be a great help. It is an awsome idea,
                              > > legal or not. Thanks! John Kuhn
                              > >
                              > > --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, beejay99@a... wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Dick
                              > > > The other trick is to use a plastic push rod with a plastic
                              > > sheath, same as
                              > > > used in aircraft for rudder and evivator. The sheath can be
                              > > sealed at the
                              > > > enterance into the hull making ths a better water tight system.
                              > > feel the major
                              > > > point where water is getting into the hull in big air is at this
                              > > area. Since
                              > > > I have sealed the system the boat is much dryer. Still a bit of
                              > > water from
                              > > > the exit point of the main and jib sheets.

                            • Bill Cline
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
                                > --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "dr_scud" <dr_scud@> wrote:
                                > > Sailors:
                                > > I have found that I can keep the water out by using a DU-Bro
                                > > Waterproof Push Rod Seal #3801. Works great and it's legal.
                                > > Dr Scud.

                                Where on the boat is such a seal needed? And are there any
                                instructions anywhere which show how it is installed? I'm coming in in
                                the middle of a discussion and have no idea what you might be talking
                                about. If there is a preliminary message or discussion about this
                                could someone lead me to it, please? Thanks!

                                Bill Cline
                              • Chuck Luscomb
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
                                  Hi Bill,

                                  The fitting that is being discussed is a rubber push rod seal that would (you have a boat right?) fit over the cockpit exit point for the rudder push rod and make a water tight rubber seal. You can look at the fitting at www.dubro.com

                                  As a footnote, I do not see any of these at regattas. I have never tried one so I cannot speak from experience. I simply take a piece of neoprene tape, cut it to fit INSIDE the hull were the fitting passes through the bulkhead and simply push the rod through it. It acts like a wiper and does not allow any water in. Simple, cheap.

                                  Chuck

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
                                    --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Luscomb" <chuckluscomb@...>
                                    wrote:
                                    I simply take a piece of neoprene tape, cut it to fit INSIDE the hull
                                    were the fitting passes through the bulkhead and simply push the rod
                                    through it. It acts like a wiper and does not allow any water in.
                                    Simple, cheap.

                                    Chuck,

                                    So you simply stick the tape "across" the hole where the brass rod goes
                                    down through, thus creating a minimal leak, if any. Sounds workable.

                                    Bill
                                  • Buchanan, William R CIV SEA 04
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 9, 2008
                                      Way too much weight. :)

                                      I don't nave anything there...no more water problems than anyone else.
                                      Sail it right side up! :)

                                      Bucky .