Pluses and minuses

  • twsmith020
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2003
      Greetings to all, as a person new to model sailboating I was
      wondering what you all thought of the CR 914 class. To me it seems
      to be the most evenly matched class on the water today. But I was
      wondering if any of you could take a few minutes to give me and any
      other person out there a few of the pluses and minuses of the class.
      I have been reading the newsletter for quite sometime now, but other
      then radio problems and some problems with the rings very little is
      ever mentioned about reliabilty problems of the class. Have you all
      found this to be the case or do larger problems tend to go unreported
      in the newsletter? I guess most importantly do you enjoy sailing the
      class and would you buy another CR 914?
      Thanks to all,
      Todd
    • dj_mako
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2003
        Hello Todd,

        I think this is one of the best classes out there.

        The boats are modern and beautiful.
        The rules makes the boats very even so there are not a lot of things
        to tweak, yet, there is enough to make it interesting and real. This
        also makes them a lot cheaper that the high-end boats.

        Pros there are many:
        - right size, not too big, not too small
        - price, it is a lot cheaper than one meters.
        - relatively easy to build
        - cheap to maintain
        - good set of class rules making the boats even

        Cons... there aren't many really... The radio problems is one of
        them, but this applies for any kind of radio controlled sailboat.
        One of the most annoying problems is the tendency of diving that the
        boats have when doing downwind with a lot of wind, but this also
        makes it interesting for those times.

        I have 2 914's and definitively I would buy another one.

        Regards,
        Pablo Godel

        --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "twsmith020" <twsmith020@h...>
        wrote:
        > Greetings to all, as a person new to model sailboating I was
        > wondering what you all thought of the CR 914 class. To me it
        seems
        > to be the most evenly matched class on the water today. But I was
        > wondering if any of you could take a few minutes to give me and
        any
        > other person out there a few of the pluses and minuses of the
        class.
        > I have been reading the newsletter for quite sometime now, but
        other
        > then radio problems and some problems with the rings very little
        is
        > ever mentioned about reliabilty problems of the class. Have you
        all
        > found this to be the case or do larger problems tend to go
        unreported
        > in the newsletter? I guess most importantly do you enjoy sailing
        the
        > class and would you buy another CR 914?
        > Thanks to all,
        > Todd
      • Jim Aenchbacher
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2003
          Hi Todd- as a follow up to my earlier email: I don’t have a CR914 (ODOM and
          Victoria) but I think as other people have said that the class is a great
          one- the one design aspect is tremendous when you compare it the Victorias’
          situation. But what should make the difference in your boat selection is
          your local fleet- find out what is being sailed in your area..

          Jim Aenchbacher

          wrote:
          > Greetings to all, as a person new to model sailboating I was
          > wondering what you all thought of the CR 914 class. To me it
          seems
          > to be the most evenly matched class on the water today. But I was
          > wondering if any of you could take a few minutes to give me and
          any
          > other person out there a few of the pluses and minuses of the
          class.
          > I have been reading the newsletter for quite sometime now, but
          other
          > then radio problems and some problems with the rings very little
          is
          > ever mentioned about reliabilty problems of the class. Have you
          all
          > found this to be the case or do larger problems tend to go
          unreported
          > in the newsletter? I guess most importantly do you enjoy sailing
          the
          > class and would you buy another CR 914?
          > Thanks to all,
          > Todd