Rig Tuning - Shrouds

  • R Cuneaz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2011
      Greetings to all ! I'm happy to announce I have launched "Tiny Dancer" for the first time last Sunday. Everything went well, my wife and I had a lot of fun sailing the boat. The next step for me is to learn how to set up the rig and fine tune the boat for performance and enjoyment. I was somewhat surprised how well I did sailing the boat for the first time. It seemed to be intuitive. Much easier than I had thought. After sailing for about one hour in moderate winds, (guess 12 - 15 knots), I sailed her back to check out the rigging and to check for water leaks. Everything was loose, all the bowsies needed tightening, and all of the boom rings had slipped. The good news was only two drops of water inside the hull ! I did build the water tight hatch with the gasket as recommended and the plastic tube filled with grease to seal the rudder shaft. My questions are 1) is it normal for the bowsies to slip like this, or is there a break in period for the spectra and bowsie to grip better ? 2) When the boom ring slipped on the main boom it allowed the main boom to rest upon the shrouds when sailing down wind. With the force of the main sail on the shrouds is this something to be concerned about ?
    • Brian Jobson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 21, 2011
        R. Cuneaz

        It is a constant irritation with the shrouds and the bowsies. I have seen the use of a small SS eyelet as a terminal end on the lowers. Then the tention line is looped 2X to form a 2:1 pully effect reducing the tension on the bowsies by half. The mast rig is so stiff that the lowers can hold it very verticle up to moderate winds. The uppers and mids shoud be just snug.
        The boom rings should be snug and not slip while under way.

        The tuning guide is available with a subscription to the CRonicle our fleet news letter. This is acually a lot more than a news letter more like a 8-10 page quarterly information. The subscription also gains you access to the CRonicle archives from the first issues through the 69th. http://www.cr914class.org

        Brian Jobson
        cr1386
        DPMYC.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4 1:39 PM
          Rod,

          A bit of slack may appear in the shrouds after sailing in conditions like this which is normal as the rigging line "sets" or stretches. Once it has set, the shrouds will not loosen up any more unless...

          -Check the Spreaders and jumper bond to the mast. If you did not glue the spreaders or jumper, they will slip in those wind conditions and the shrouds will appear loose.

          -Check your compression post below deck. Did you install the wood post behind the brass tube? If the brass tube is not securely glued, it will allow the deck to dip and the shrouds will loosen up. Gently squeeze the hull around the compression post and if it slips, you will need to re-glue it with super thin CA.

          Check your boom rings for cracks. Their is a very close tolerance to slide these on and in some cases, they need to be filed in order to get them to slip on without breaking them (I have done this too many times). If they are not cracked, and they slip this easily, you will need to replace them as their is no longer a way to make them more snug. There is also a procedure for making the rings more durable. I recommend doing this regardless of what is happening now. Simply take the ring after you have a snug fit to the boom and file a small groove around the outside of the ring. Take a piece of spectra rigging line and make a loop, wrap the line around the boom ring letting the line fit into the groove and pull it tight. Glue it in place with some super thin CA. Trim off the excess line and you are ready to install the reinforced rings and they should last some time.

          Hope this helps,

          Chuck
          USA 19