Pinstriping .vs. Painting and Clear Coat Process

  • tycoon426
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10 8:21 AM
      Hello everyone;

      I have a couple of questions concerning painting the 914. Is it better to paint on a pinstripe or use a high quality model pinstripe or decal. It seems to me that it may be easer to use the model pinstripe but it may not look as good ? I have not seen anything written on this subject.

      Also I'm thinking about putting on some graphics which require clearcoat to cover up, waterproof and protect the decal. If I clearcoat the entire hull what is the process? 1) Paint with your chosen color, fine sand, then clear coat, fine sand again, then polish. Or, 2) Paint with color, fine sand, polish, clear coat, then polish again. Or, 3) Paint with color, clear coat then polish. My guess is #2. Comments would be greatly appreciated.
    • David Ramos
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 10 7:35 PM
        If you are looking to have a multiple color hull I would recommend the
        following

        Paint the hull with automotive paint, light color first and then the darker
        color last.

        Between colors do not polish the hull or sand with a sand paper finer then
        320 as the second color needs something to grab onto.

        After the final color is dry lightly wet sand the hull with 320 this will
        reduce the step or bump between colors.

        Apply two light coats of clear.

        Let set overnight and then lightly wet sand again with 320 this will
        eliminate the step or bump and remove any dust or contamination to your
        first clear coat.

        Apply a final coat of clear, wet sand with 1500 and then polish

        If you are thinking of doing a waterline it will look better if painted
        because as the line travels aft around the transom it will thicken when
        viewed from below.

        To apply a waterline follow the steps outlined in the building instructions
        for a waterline.

        www.rcyachts.com/build1/build1.pdf

        dave

        David Ramos

        Chesapeake Performance Models

        227 Main Street

        Stevensville, Md 21666

        410-604-3907

        410-604-3908 fax

        www.rcyachts.com

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 11 2:27 AM
          Hi I just used good quality car enamel in a spray can but use same undercoat type as paint never clear coated and it has been fine. Ray from down under.

          --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "tycoon426" <rodcuneaz@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone;
          >
          > I have a couple of questions concerning painting the 914. Is it better to paint on a pinstripe or use a high quality model pinstripe or decal. It seems to me that it may be easer to use the model pinstripe but it may not look as good ? I have not seen anything written on this subject.
          >
          > Also I'm thinking about putting on some graphics which require clear coat to cover up, waterproof and protect the decal. If I clear coat the entire hull what is the process? 1) Paint with your chosen colour, fine sand, then clear coat, fine sand again, then polish. Or, 2) Paint with colour, fine sand, polish, clear coat, then polish again. Or, 3) Paint with colour, clear coat then polish. My guess is #2. Comments would be greatly appreciated.

        • reynella3
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 12 12:59 AM
            I just used good car enamel

            --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "tycoon426" <rodcuneaz@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone;
            >
            > I have a couple of questions concerning painting the 914. Is it better to paint on a pinstripe or use a high quality model pinstripe or decal. It seems to me that it may be easer to use the model pinstripe but it may not look as good ? I have not seen anything written on this subject.
            >
            > Also I'm thinking about putting on some graphics which require clearcoat to cover up, waterproof and protect the decal. If I clearcoat the entire hull what is the process? 1) Paint with your chosen color, fine sand, then clear coat, fine sand again, then polish. Or, 2) Paint with color, fine sand, polish, clear coat, then polish again. Or, 3) Paint with color, clear coat then polish. My guess is #2. Comments would be greatly appreciated.

          • Dick Martin
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 12 10:48 AM
              I used a roll of 1/16" pinstripe near the edges of my deck and it has
              worked well -- looks OK and is a lot easier than trying to mask and
              paint a stripe. But I would not want to use it as a boot top at the
              waterline -- too rough/too much drag :-).

              I have always used method #1. Polishing isn't necessary after
              "superfine" wet sanding (600 grit) the last coat of colored paint, and
              it might even interfere with bonding of the clear coat. (I use 600
              followed by 1500 on the clear coat before polishing it)

              Dick Martin -- /Mariah /#1122