RE: [CR 914 Class] oversize boom ring slides

  • David Ramos
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2010
      Clean the boom and then lightly coat the boom with Vaseline then wipe off.

      This will leave a very very light coating on the boom.

      Slide the boom slide into place on the boom.

      Place a drop of CA glue at the base of the slide at the boom and wick any
      excess away with a paper towel.

      Let set for about 5 min and then gently pop the glue joint free of the boom
      by applying pressure to both sides of the slide at the same time.

      The CA will take up the free space between the boom and the slide.

      David Ramos

      Chesapeake Performance Models

      227 Main Street

      Stevensville, Md 21666

      410-604-3907

      410-604-3908 fax

      www.rcyachts.com

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2010
        Or you can go to a hardware store and use some rubber grommets. They won't slide if you get the right size. And they won't ever break either.
        Buck. 833

        ________________________________

        John you need to use glue to take up the slop than sand to fit. The glue that came with your kit is the kind you need. Kevin 1300 call me if you want 203 464 0894
        On Nov 27, 2010, at 11:30 PM, jonathanpelley@... <mailto:jonathanpelley%40ymail.com> wrote:

        > Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeves to allow one to use oversize boom rings? I'm getting a little tired of taping them in place so they don't slip.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any help.
        >
        > Jonathan "Motion"

      • makani1346
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2010
          Hi Jonathan,
          I use "O" rings to keep them in place, one on each side of the boom rings. They stay put that way and the "O" rings are cheeply bought at most hardware stores.

          By the way the oversize boom rings are easier to deal with than the old "too tight" ones that frquently broke. The inside had to be sanded out to make them fit and then had to be reinforced with string.
          Cheers,
          Phil Adams CR # 1546