Finishing the deck

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2010
      I have looked over the photos at Dave's site and it looks as though quite number of them have finished decks.
      What is the general consensus on whether it is best to leave the deck "as is" (mold grooves, small blemishes, etc.); do some sort of finishing (wet sand, polish); or to go all the way and sand, paint, polish like the hull itself?
      Thanks!
      - REO
    • David Ramos
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2010
        Robert

        The vast majority of the boats pictured on my web site do not have the decks
        painted.

        Because of the amount of detail and hardware on the decks it is very
        difficult to paint the decks and not run into problems the biggest of which
        is transitioning the deck paint job into the hull paint job.

        Because of the class rules against lightening the deck by sanding if you are
        going to paint the deck you are not allowed to do much in the way of sanding
        and any imperfections that you are trying to get rid of must be filled and
        then painted.

        Generally decks are not painted but I have seen a number of boats that have
        gone that route and the results can be quite striking.

        Dave

        David Ramos

        Chesapeake Performance Models

        227 Main Street

        Stevensville, Md 21666

        410-604-3907

        410-604-3908 fax

        www.rcyachts.com

        _____

        I have looked over the photos at Dave's site and it looks as though quite
        number of them have finished decks.
        What is the general consensus on whether it is best to leave the deck "as
        is" (mold grooves, small blemishes, etc.); do some sort of finishing (wet
        sand, polish); or to go all the way and sand, paint, polish like the hull
        itself?
        Thanks!
        - REO

      • Buchanan, William R CIV SEA 04
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2010
          I left mine unpainted. Why add the weight....not that there is that much weight in that little paint....but why?

          CR 833

          Very Respectfully,

          William "Bucky" Buchanan