Yacht Down Under

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009
      Well had its first sail today went really well only trouble i found was (a) did not like turning in strong wind espacially turning into wind
      (b) would not sail straight had to keep adjusting rudder tried adjusting mast but could not seem to get it right thjats the only trouble being along way from you guys cant show any body too get help. Any wway other than that it went really well.
    • bobrcr1160
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009
        In strong wind, on this boat and boats of ANY size, you have to ease the sails before the boat will turn off (away from) the wind.
        Coming about (through the wind) requires a steady hand in a big breeze. A good technique is to ease off the wind by just a few degrees (easing the sails out accordingly), and then make a fast move to take through the wind. Once the boat's bow passes through the eye of the wind, you often have to ease out the sails just a touch to help it get back up to speed before bringing it properly onto the wind for a true beat.
        Sailing in heavy breeze is a lot of fun, but it takes practice - whether you're sailing a 3-footer or a 30-footer. The problems you expressed probably have far more to do with the wind conditions than with the set up of the boat.

        --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <reynella3@...> wrote:

        > Well had its first sail today went really well only trouble i found was (a) did not like turning in strong wind espacially turning into wind
        > (b) would not sail straight had to keep adjusting rudder tried adjusting mast but could not seem to get it right thjats the only trouble being along way from you guys cant show any body too get help. Any wway other than that it went really well.

      • frederick deutsch
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009
          Keep at it. Gusts require you to sail through, but set the sails for the predominant breeze.

          Fred R. Deutsch

          Well had its first sail today went really well only trouble i found was (a) did not like turning in strong wind espacially turning into wind
          (b) would not sail straight had to keep adjusting rudder tried adjusting mast but could not seem to get it right thjats the only trouble being along way from you guys cant show any body too get help. Any wway other than that it went really well.

        • Buchanan, William R CIV SEA 04
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009
            Sounds like too much leeward helm....try easing the jib, thereby giving you some weather helm.
            The jib boom generally should be aiming at the shroud. You'll have to experiment a bit.
            Good luck.

            Very Respectfully,

            William "Bucky" Buchanan
            Division Head (SEA 04L2)
            Logistics Data Architecture
            202-781-3292

          • beejay99@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009
              For big Air a couple of things I do.

              Assuming I have run out of mast forward adjustments.

              1.? I bring my jib boom to just inside the aft shroud.

              2.? I readjust my main sheet harness so the boom when sheeted in is over the center to the outside of the

              ?? ?stearing wheels. Remember to tighten your boom vang.

              3.? I carry my battery as far foward as possable.? If?they are?in the stern, the minute you try and tack the bow

              ?? ?goes into the air and?the momentum need to finish the tack is lost.? Worry about the boat nose diving down

              ?? ?wind a??bit latter.?

              If the boat sails well on one tack and different on the other first check that your mast is veritcle from port to starboard.? Second check that the rudder has not been bent.? Put the boat in the cradel then standing behind the boat.??The rudder must be plumb with the keel fin.

              We have gone so far as measuring deck being perpendicular to the keel so the mast is also plumb with the keel fin using a capenters laser level.

              Check out the 20+ knots we raced in at SanDiego 2006 Nationals http://www.cr914class.org/photo_20knots.php

              Tune the rig for the days conditions.

              Have fun

              Brian

              ?

              ?

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 7, 2009
                thanks for your advise i will try what you suggested