New photos

  • robertsuydam
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2008
      I added some new photos to the Yahoo group site. Nothing as good as
      the cover shot on the front of Model Yachting. I'm trying not to be
      biased, but the photos in the article were some of the best shots I've
      seen of any boats. Nice job.

      Just curious, but how often do boats bump each other during heavy air,
      densely populated races like that?
    • Chuck Luscomb
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2008
        Hi Robert,

        I guess it comes down to the skippers Robert. Some bump into other regardless of how much wind there is!

        In the pictures you saw of San Diego in 06, the wind was reported to be in the mid to high teens. Standing on the dock, I would have bet it was more than that. My guess is that it was in the low to mid 20's. Photos almost never can convey the conditions but these photo's came pretty close to what the real conditions were like. 914's can sail with control in breezes in this range but are on the edge of control. Skippers tend to give each other a wider berth but occasionally, they bump or crash into each other.

        That being said, I have seen some pretty badly damaged boats that have made their way into Dave's shop at CPM and I have yet to see one that he has not been able to repair and having looking brand new again.

        The photo on the cover was cropped for use as a cover shot. I posted the un-edited version for those interested.

        Chuck

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2008
          I must be blind. What is the name of the folder with the new pictures
          in it?

          Ray

          --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "robertsuydam" <robertsuydam@...>

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2008
            Hi Ray,

            I could not find Roberts photos either but have posted mine under 2008 Nationals.

            Robert, are you having trouble posting your photo's.

            Chuck

            wrote:

            > I added some new photos to the Yahoo group site. Nothing as good as
            > the cover shot on the front of Model Yachting. I'm trying not to be
            > biased, but the photos in the article were some of the best shots I've
            > seen of any boats. Nice job.
            >
            > Just curious, but how often do boats bump each other during heavy air,
            > densely populated races like that?

          • Robert Suydam
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 8, 2008
              No, you are not blind.  It can be a bit confusing and sometimes difficult to see all the options since there is so much information on the pages...

              There are two ways to looks at the photos.  If you go to your Yahoo groups that list all the groups you belong to, you can see what activity has occurred in the last 7 days.  New Members, New Messages, and in this case New Photos.  Simply select the "New Photos" option to see all the new photos that were added.  I saw 9 new photos including mine and some other really good shots of.  Or you can go to the "photo" link in the left hand index of the group's page and see all the photo albums.  Here is why you may not see mine.  I think the page shows albums 1-16.  You have to click "next" at the bottom right to see albums 17-18.  Mine is number 17 (I think) called Suydam CR914 Volvo Ocean Race.  Or something like that.

              BTW, who ever sent out that note from WindPower about the Richmond Virginia gathering, THANK YOU!  I now have someone to sail with.  Glad I didn't sell the boat...

              wrote:

              > I added some new photos to the Yahoo group site. Nothing as good as
              > the cover shot on the front of Model Yachting. I'm trying not to be
              > biased, but the photos in the article were some of the best shots
              I've
              > seen of any boats. Nice job.
              >
              > Just curious, but how often do boats bump each other during heavy air,
              > densely populated races like that?

            • cbmra
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 9, 2008
                Robert,

                I am quilty of sending out the link to the meeting from Wind Power. :-
                ) I am glad it could help you out. Hopefully you can get some more
                914ers in your area. There have been some great articles in the
                CRonicle about growing fleets. The best thing is to get the
                transmiter into the on lookers hands.

                Great photos of your boat! My favorite thing from an RD perspective
                is that you can read your sail numbers. So many of the sail numbers
                these days are hard to read for scoring!

                ALl the best!

                Ernest
                CBMRA