Questions re batteries

  • Bill Cline
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
      I note the kit boat by CPM(Dave Ramos) suggests that 12 AA type
      batteries be used with the 914. Why does it need 12
      batteries...that's 18 volts, right?

      Where, in the hull, do most people place this large pack of
      batteries and must the radio receiver be removed before the battery
      pack can be placed or removed? In the photos I have seen, it looks
      very tight in there.

      Can NIMH 2200mah 1.2v batteries be used instead of NICAD's? I
      realize nicads can get a battery "memory" set but NIMH type does
      not. Using the Duracell copper top alkalines, rated at 1500mah and
      1.5v are dependable, I know, but that could become a costly
      continuing expense.

      I would be very interested to learn which batteries give the best
      performance and dependability

      Thanks.

      Bill Cline
    • cobalt357@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
        I note the kit boat by CPM(Dave Ramos) suggests that 12 AA type

        batteries be used with the 914. Why does it need 12

        batteries...that's 18 volts, right?

        I am sure he is talking about 8 batteries in the radio and 4 in the boat.   Definitely go with the NiMh, they are a much better battery and better for the environment too.  The larger the capacity the better also, get at least 2000 aH so that you dont have to worry about running low on batteries.

        Peter Dubé

        Sunapee, NH

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
          Bill,
          Chuck is correct that this is a standard set-up. The radio takes 8 and the boat takes 4 batteries.
          The use of NiMH as rechargables is very common in the class.? Rechargables are inly 1.2 V vs your coppertops that are at 1.5 V.? To boost our rechagables Voltage back to 6 V we use 5 1.2 V NiMH.
          I just purchased on ebay 2?? ?pre-made 5 cell AA 2500 mli amp flat packs with shipping for ?$22.50
          The boosted voltage helps in big air.? They also last longer than coppertops.
          I also seal the prefabed packs.? These are made for airplanes that don't have water involved with the sport.? The CR-914 does get water inside in winds over 10-15.? Not a lot of water but enough to get the batteries damp.? If you choose to use the attery holder that comes with the kit and pick your batteries up at the local store.? I used good electrical tape to seale the batteries from getting wet.
          Others use ballons, work the end of the ballon over the batteries and case and tie off the end of the ballon to keep them dry.
          Check this guy out I see a 2 pack for 15.49 less shipping.
          http://stores.ebay.com/eee4u??
          This is who I bought them from.

          Best Regards
          ?Brian Jobson
          867, 1386

        • david@rcyachts.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
            Bill
            The 12 AA batteries are for the Rx (4) and the Tx (8)
            You can use rechargable batteries, I use NIMH batteries myself.
            To upgrade to rechargable batteries is about a $100 and if you sail a lot they pay for themselves.
            I place the 4 batteries for the Rx on the bottom of the hull just aft of the radio board.
            The Rx is located hanging under the cockpit with velcro and is actually aft of the batteries so installation and removing them is not a problem.

            Dave

            David Ramos
            Chesapeake Performance Models
            www.rcyachts.com

            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 5, 2008
              --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, beejay99@... wrote:

              > I just purchased on ebay 2?? ?pre-made 5 cell AA 2500 mli amp flat
              packs with shipping for ?$22.50

              Brian,

              Do the prefab packs come with a battery holder which "connects" all
              the batteries circuit-wise? Or do you have some sort of homemade rig?

              >I used good electrical tape to seale the batteries from getting wet.<

              But don't you have to unwrap all the batteries to recharge them? Or
              do you somehow recharge them in their wrapped, waterproof state? Are
              your packs soldered for charging?

              I'm sure I'll figure the batteries out eventually. When I had my
              EC12 we had a fellow in the group who was a radio ham and very
              talented. We all depended on him to put together all the battery
              packs and I never really learned. He also made dischargers but I
              believe this is not needed with nimh batts.

              Thanks for the ebay advice, too!

              Bill

            • beejay99@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 8, 2008
                Bill,
                Sorry for the delay.
                The 5 packs you purchased are soldered with tabs conneting the battery cells these are then shrink wrapped in plastic case.
                These are not water proof.? I tape them up and add a little silicone at the wires going into the battery.? I also use a small amount of electrical grease on the connector.
                Then I put a small piece of velcro on the battery and the other side of the velcro in the bottom of the boat.
                Brian