re: Discussion ideas

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2007
      I was wondering if standardizing the actual physical course and
      general running of regatta's would encourage more participation of
      sailors from other clubs. Knowing more of what to expect ahead of
      time when thinking about going to an away racing venue might just
      tip the scale for some.

      The physical course itself would be easy to standardize and mark
      positioning to minimize local knowledge could be required.

      I'm sure that with all the experence in the CR class a standard for
      the overall running of regatta's could be formulated.

      My club is located on the central California coast about halfway
      between LA & SF so we would like to host a regatta for our region
      but would want to ensure quality racing for anyone making the trip.
      I think by setting up of standards we could use for that regatta
      would help.

      Any ideas, like horror of horrors setting up a regatta
      standardization committee!

      Phil Adams
      1346 "Makani"
    • Buchanan, William R CIV SEA 04
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2007
        Totally disagree with a standard course....here's why:
        First off, it would be boring. The fun part for me about traveling is
        to see new places, meet new friends and get out of my own home-town
        venue. Also, not every pond allows the same type of courses. Take
        Larchmont...you race on platforms and you usually race the boats around
        the platform. It works great for them and wouldn't work at all anywhere
        else. DPMYC has a pretty good set-up, but it might be hard to transfer
        that to say annapolis. You need to mix it up from time to time...the
        old olympic gold cup courses had every point of sail (WRLWLW). These
        days its hard to get a good tight screaming reach in cause everyone is
        sailing windward/leewards. They are good but sometimes they get boring
        too.

        ...and theres my 2 cents.
        See everyone at Higgins in St. Michaels this weekend.

        Bucky.

        William "Bucky" Buchanan
        NAVSEA Logistics FAM
        Tech Data Management PfM
        (202)781-3292

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2007
          Phil,

          The Adcomm committee is working on a set of documents for running a
          regatta.

          We will son have a Guidelines Document. And then if interested a
          Template for Entry Form, SI's, Scoring Sheets, Scoring Programs,
          Judging Guidelines etc...

          Sort of a Regatta in a Box.

          I just need to get headed in the right direction and get going on
          again with the documentation for the Committee to review.

          Ernest
          CBMRA
          CR-914 #956 and 659

        • beejay99@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2007
            Phil

            If you are interested I did a layout a standardized course on our pond in deep river.

            I worked on this for weeks between aerial views of the pond and a cad program.? I came up with 36 courses for the pond depending on wind direction.? When we actually ran the spring regatta and the Nationals, Mother Nature just laughed at the time I had spent.? The Nationals had 270 degree wind shifts try standardizing to that.? Also the nature of the site San Diego is blessed with a consistent wind direction, Oh I forgot that?in 2003 for the Nationals at San Diego the direction shifted for Saturday.? They did the best they could with what Mother Nature sent them not their standard course.
            Every big regatta I have been to have the same claim from the RC the wind never blows from this direction.
            The flexibility and creativity required of the RC is difficult to standardize.? The venue also dictates for the most part how things are set-up.? It is odd though that the top sailors in our fleet seem to still finish very well no matter what the course or the conditions.
            The variety of sailing is what draws me as well as the great people in this class, to travel and race.?

            I do think that a more standardized racing format with HMS, scoring, judging etc.,?for the Nationals and Region championships is a good idea.?? Other regattas that do not involve the AMYA should be run any way the sponsoring fleet wants to.? Splitting fleets with regard to abilities has a great draw.
            Travel to a regatta and convince a non traveler in your fleet to come along.
            Brian J

            867, 1386