Re: Design history

  • rickm808
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2007
      Fox,

      "Borrowed" is the polite word for it. As the guy who had the
      privilege of interviewing the designer of the CR914 and who's
      familiar with the principals at the AG Corporation, which concieved
      and builds the CR914 in Japan, I can say they are very aware of this
      outright 5/6ths scale rip-off of their concept. I have encouraged
      them to to take legal action but AG is a very small company and lack
      the resources and time to pursue international copyright claims.
      It's also very "un-Japanese" to do so.

      As similar as these products started out, now that both classes have
      evolved, I don't believe the Victoria and the CR914 compete for the
      same interests. I think Geoff Becker, who's been sucessful in both
      classes, would attest to that. I will say that in the late 1990's
      the Victoria clearly stole market share from the CR914 primarily due
      to it's price point. It looked like the same thing at 1/3 the
      initial kit price. Right now I'd say the two are pretty equal in
      class strength. It will be interesting to see if they stay that way.

      Rick Martin
      Tokyo

      --- In cr914class@yahoogroups.com, "foxroe" <toddroe@...> wrote:

      > I've always been curious...
      >
      > Why are the CR914 and the TT Victoria so alike?
      >
      > I know that they are both supposed to be based on America's Cup
      racers,
      > but I've read the CR914 history and from the paraphrased interview
      with
      > its creator, it seems the CR was an "artists conception" of a yet
      to be
      > introduced design. So how does the Vic fit into the picture? Was
      it an
      > off-shoot at some point in the CR's history? Was the
      design "borrowed"?

      > -Fox

    • foxroe
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2007
        Interesting! I admit, I feel somewhat guilty now about owning a Vic
        (and not a CR914). But, I really like the looks/lines/performance of
        the Vic, and I think by logical extension, I would love the CR914 for
        all the same reasons, if not more so. Perhaps this is what the folks
        at AG were thinking as well. Sort of "indirect" advertising.

        Now I just have to figure out how to convince the "accountant" that I
        NEED another boat! :)

        -Fox

      • david@rcyachts.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2007
          Rick

          Can I get you to shoot me an email diect off line?

          Thanks
          Dave