Re: Scrap metal yard served by rail

  • Tom Michele
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2008
      Jeff,
      Next to Minnesota, in Wisconsin, specifically in Watertown, ALONG AND
      ADJACENT to the CP main, there is Loeb-Lorman, possibly Lorman-Loeb.
      I grew up in Watertown, and a classmate of mine, Watertown High School
      Class of 1962, was Harvey Loeb. His father had the scrap metal
      business then and I heard Harvey has it now. I saw a loaded gondola
      parked on the L-L siding a year ago. Watertown is midway between
      Milwaukee and Madison.
      L-L also serves Grede Foundry in Reedsburg. A new siding was
      constructed onto property adjacent to the foundry about four years
      ago, with a brand new weigh scale. I took photos of it and did a story
      for the Reedsburg paper. My photos and story is also a page on the
      WSOR website, under one of "X-X year plans."
      L-L brings in a gondola with scrap metal that is plucked out of the
      gon and dumped into a baler trackside then trucked a hundred feet into
      the foundry
      The Grede thing is in Reedsburg, on the Union Pacific Reedsburg Sub,
      leased by WSOR. The Reedsburg Sub terminates a thousand yards
      northwest of the Grede plant. It goes to Madison, to the WSOR Johnson
      Street Yard. That is also the former C&NW mainline, "Route of the
      400," passenger service from Chicago to the Twin Cities......400 miles
      in 400 minutes, I think the marketing slogan was.
      Have a scrap.....err ball.
      Or, Highball!
      Tom Michele
      Tomah
      Former Baraboo (14 miles from Reedsburg, on WSOR rails)resident,
      Former Watertown resident

      --- In cpheavyhaul@yahoogroups.com, "cpguy29" <jeff.lacey@...> wrote:

      > Im looking at modelling a scrap metal yard. Does anyone know of one
      > served by CP rail in Minnesota

    • Eugene Herdebu
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2008
        Scrap is hauled from Starbuck Mn to Glenwood Mn and loaded on the CP
        GeneĀ

        Im looking at modelling a scrap metal yard. Does anyone know of one
        served by CP rail in Minnesota

      • dyna
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 30, 2008
          There's a bunch of scrapyards on the CP along the river in North
          Minneapolis.

          On Dec 30, 2008, at 8:14 PM, Eugene Herdebu wrote:

          > Scrap is hauled from Starbuck Mn to Glenwood Mn and loaded on the CP
          > Gene

        • Jason Korth
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 30, 2008
            On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:21:21 -0000
            "cpguy29" <jeff.lacey@...> wrote:
            > Im looking at modelling a scrap metal yard. Does anyone know of one
            > served by CP rail in Minnesota

            North Star Steel on the border of Newport/St. Paul (at the Maxwell/Baily
            exit on highway 61) processes junk cars into rebar. The crushed cars arrive
            on trucks. I believe they do also get gons full of shredded scrap metal for
            processing.

            Outbound loads of rebar are hauled on JTTX "finger" flatcars and I believe
            some is trucked out as well.

            The plant is served daily by the CP Newport/Scrap job. The facility has
            their own switcher for final spotting. For photos of the plant go to
            maps.live.com and punch in Newport, MN and scroll north just past I-494.
            That should give you all you need for modeling.

            Jason Korth