Calf 3 weeks old

  • flower767
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2002
      Hi
      I just joined this list looking for some information.
      I have two baby calfs heffers that came from a feed lot.
      The chance of survial is 30 70 because of what the Mama cows are fed.
      Dumpling has made it to 3 weeks old, she how ever about two weeks ago
      came up with a knot on her leg at the joint. We though maybe it was
      because something had fallen on her it did not seems to be broke and
      she could walk on it.
      Now it has swollen up more and seems to have fluid in it, I am not
      for sure what to do as I have never rasied a calf before.
      Does any one have any ideals on what might could be causeing this?
      She is eatting OK and so forth although both of them started with the
      scoures I was told if I did not get it cleared up I would loose them,
      I went to work right away and gave them
      egg white, pedialite 1/3 cup, and asodolihps in their milk this
      seemsed to have worked.
      Also I saw someone was wanting help to get one stated on a bottle I
      started Dumpling cause she was so little on a reg baby bottle as the
      nipple seems to fit her mouth, I moved her up to a calf bottle after
      a week it seemed to work ok for her.

      My name is Vi and I live in the Cattle Fields of Texas with Paddie
      and The Country Bumpkins.
      The Bumpkins are a wonderful group of critters and we Love our home.
      Thanks for your help
      Vi
    • calf_lady
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2002
        --- In cows2@y..., "flower767" <violap@f...> wrote:
        > Hi
        > I just joined this list looking for some information.
        > I have two baby calfs heffers that came from a feed lot.
        > The chance of survial is 30 70 because of what the Mama cows are
        fed.
        > Dumpling has made it to 3 weeks old, she how ever about two weeks
        ago
        > came up with a knot on her leg at the joint. We though maybe it was
        > because something had fallen on her it did not seems to be broke
        and
        > she could walk on it.
        > Now it has swollen up more and seems to have fluid in it, I am not
        > for sure what to do as I have never rasied a calf before.
        > Does any one have any ideals on what might could be causeing this?
        > She is eatting OK and so forth although both of them started with
        the
        > scoures I was told if I did not get it cleared up I would loose
        them,
        > I went to work right away and gave them
        > egg white, pedialite 1/3 cup, and asodolihps in their milk this
        > seemsed to have worked.
        > Also I saw someone was wanting help to get one stated on a bottle I
        > started Dumpling cause she was so little on a reg baby bottle as
        the
        > nipple seems to fit her mouth, I moved her up to a calf bottle
        after
        > a week it seemed to work ok for her.
        >
        > My name is Vi and I live in the Cattle Fields of Texas with Paddie
        > and The Country Bumpkins.
        > The Bumpkins are a wonderful group of critters and we Love our home.
        > Thanks for your help
        > Vi

        VI

        In regards to the swollen knee Please check the navel for an infection
        as this is the usual sorce to the knee infection and I am not sure
        that tis will help as the chances of her making it with out a bad
        knee is not great. I have seen it a few times in the last 25 years of
        working in the calf area of the dairy farms that I have worked on.
        Generally the vet says that they will be crippled from it but I had
        sucess in stopping the infection by putting the calf on a strong
        antibiotic for a week called Micotil. You have to be carefull when
        doing this drug and wear rubber gloves when you touch the med to give
        it but it does help some. Depending on the size of the calf you give
        3 cc to a 90 lb to 100 lb calf, Also give her some BOSE (salidium and
        Vit E mix) (Donot use MUSE thats for cows only). My job for the last
        three years that I worked on the dairy was the calves and I had
        around 1200 to 1500 each year that I took care of. If you need any
        more info contact me at calf_lady@...

        Ag