Re: [cowlesmontessori] Bullying in Schools: An Example in Missouri

  • J. Bottenfield-Biehn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2008
      This is so sad. I am glad that anti-bullying curricula are in place in the Des Moines school district. I am ever so much more grateful though that my kid(s) go to Cowles. I truly think the small closeknit atmosphere is much more like a "family" and less like a public school, which contributes to the zero tolerance for bullying policy at Cowles. It's not just the staff that adheres to it, it's our children who also do a WONDERFUL job of advocating for themselves and their friends with our Peace curriculum.  We have friends that have had serious ongoing issues with bullying in other DSM public schools and the teachers and administrators have NOT done enough about it.
      That article breaks my heart for that child and their family.
      Thanks for sharing,
      Jessica B-B

      Rebecca Herold <rebeccaherold@...> wrote:
      Hi everyone,

      I saw a news report today that demonstrates the devastating impact of bullying within schools.

      I am so thankful that Iowa has a law against bullying, and that Cowles does such a good job ensuring bullying does not occur.

      I wanted to pass this along; I think this article is important to read to keep awareness of the need to keep bullying out of the schools:

      "Mother: Son Was Bullied To Death: Mother Sues School District Over Son's Death"

      Thanks,

      Rebecca

      Jessica Bottenfield-Biehn,RN,CD(DONA)
      Holistic Moms Network
      Des Moines, IA

      "You are Stronger than you seem, Braver than you believe and Smarter than you think". ~~Christopher Robin