Letters t o the School Board

  • emisonclair
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2007
      The Awareness and Growth Committee in an effort to educate the School
      Board of the benefits of Montessori have initiated a letter writing
      campaign hi-lighting the 8 principles of Montessori.

      A big thank you goes out to Paige Davies who wrote our first letter.
      I will post the letter below.

      If anyone else would be willing to help with the letter writing
      campaign they can contact me at #453-2999 or via e-mail at
      emisonclair@...

      We hope to send one letter each month.

      In Peace,

      Lori

      December 5, 2007

      Dr. Sebring
      901 Walnut Street
      Des Moines, IA
      50309

      Dr. Sebring,

      I moved to Des Moines eight years ago and my son, Finn Carstensen,
      was born in 2004. When I began researching preschools, I was
      delighted to learn of open enrollment in the Des Moines Public School
      System. Having been schooled in a Montessori program as a young
      child myself, I was even more excited to learn I had the option to
      enroll my child in a Montessori environment. I jumped at the
      opportunity.

      I feel compelled to share with the board members how grateful my
      husband and I are to have our son in the enriched educational program
      that is offered at Cowles. The Montessori environment promotes
      freedom. Particularly at the toddler and preschool stages of life,
      children want to be in control and in charge of themselves. The
      Montessori classroom is designed for a child to learn on his/her own
      to make choices: which project to work on, the duration to work on
      it, and if it is work they will do solo or participate with others.
      The unique design of the classroom provides a very organized
      framework for the children, yet it still encourages the students to
      pick out work according to their preferences. I strongly feel that
      allowing children to discover their love of learning (versus
      being "told" what today's lesson is) is the strongest foundation one
      can find in the educational process.

      Making choices has helped my son, Finn, in countless ways. He is
      self confident, he is responsible, he understands consequences, he is
      independent, and he is eager to learn. Children thrive on making
      selections in their studies, and I thrive on being a proud mother of
      a Montessori Method learner. Thank you for providing this high
      quality learning environment at Cowles. I urge that it be continued,
      promoted, and provided for as many families as it gains popularity
      and interest in our Des Moines and metro communities.

      Sincerely,

      Paige E. Davies