Re: [cowlesmontessori] Fundraiser IDEA

  • J. Bottenfield-Biehn
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007
      Kristie,
      That is a great idea. I know several of my friends that use canvas bags printed with their logo to promote their local businesses.
      My family is a huge user of cloth and canvas bags for all things, but especially for grocery shopping. Here's a great website to for anyone interested in learning more about reducing consumption of throw away plastic bags.
      www.banthebags.org

      herbnhome <herbnhome@...> wrote:
      Perhaps this is coming too soon after the auction (GREAT job by the way!) but I had this great idea and I wanted to share it with everyone. I have been collecting canvans bags to use when I shop (so I don't have to waste the plastic ones) and I always like to buy them from businesses I enjoy.
      So...since we are all supporting the environment at Cowles - why don't we do something above and beyond collecting plastic bags for the environment? Why don't we show everyone how committed we are and earn some money for the school as well. The kids (or someone) could create a logo for canvas bags to be sold at Cowles (or other material), they could be produced (not very expensive - I have a brochure from a company I use for other things) and then the bags could be sold to parents and friends at a higher cost (like everyone else does - the other day I bought a bag for 22$!!!!)
      Just an idea...
      Blessings & Health,
      Kristie

      Jessica Bottenfield-Biehn,RN,CD(DONA)
      Holistic Moms Network
      Des Moines, IA

      "You are Stronger than you seem, Braver than you believe and Smarter than you think". ~~Christopher Robin

    • J. Bottenfield-Biehn
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007
        Bill,
        CafePress is AWESOME! I know a lot of people that have used it.
        I would give it a "yes" vote.
        Jessica

        paxsonbill <paxson@...> wrote:
        One way to do this is through a website called "Cafepress".
        We can upload a design, and have it available for the Cowles community on a huge variety of products...t- shirts, sweatshirts, coffee mugs, tote bags, clocks, BBQ aprons, baby clothes, magnets, bumper stickers, etc.  (I'd avoid the thong underwear, tho.) :">
        Cafepress handles the transaction (Visa, MC...) and, of course, takes a small cut.  No one at Cowles has to take orders or handle the $$$.
        Best of all, we don't pay in advance for any inventory. Each item is printed after it is ordered. There are no upfront costs.
        I know that sounds like an ad, but really, I don't work there.
        - Bill Paxson

        Jessica Bottenfield-Biehn,RN,CD(DONA)
        Holistic Moms Network
        Des Moines, IA

        "You are Stronger than you seem, Braver than you believe and Smarter than you think". ~~Christopher Robin

      • hnschebel
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 15, 2007
          Kristie-
          I proposed the same idea to Sue Gunnick over email about 6 weeks
          ago. In fact my email to her was so similar to yours, I thought
          maybe she was putting it out for me now that the Auction is over!
          Great minds and all that sort of thing...

          Anyway, I think (obviously) it is a great idea and I would love to
          help organize something. I was thinking that we could have the kids
          create Earth Day related art and we could pick the winning art and
          put it on a bag that we sell for Earth Day.

          I found a website that makes bulk orders for anywhere from $3/bag
          down to $1.75/bag depending on how many you order, so we could
          compare that to cafepress, which I have used before so I know they
          are reputable.

          --- In cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com, "herbnhome" <herbnhome@...>
          wrote:

          > Perhaps this is coming too soon after the auction (GREAT job by the
          > way!) but I had this great idea and I wanted to share it with
          everyone.
          > I have been collecting canvans bags to use when I shop (so I don't
          have
          > to waste the plastic ones) and I always like to buy them from
          businesses
          > I enjoy.
          >
          > So...since we are all supporting the environment at Cowles - why
          don't
          > we do something above and beyond collecting plastic bags for the
          > environment? Why don't we show everyone how committed we are and
          earn
          > some money for the school as well. The kids (or someone) could
          create a
          > logo for canvas bags to be sold at Cowles (or other material), they
          > could be produced (not very expensive - I have a brochure from a
          company
          > I use for other things) and then the bags could be sold to parents
          and
          > friends at a higher cost (like everyone else does - the other day I
          > bought a bag for 22$!!!!)
          >
          > Just an idea...
          >
          > Blessings & Health,
          >
          > Kristie
          >
          > www.thedreamangelslimo.com <http://www.thedreamangelslimo.com>

        • Kristie Karima Burns, MH, ND
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2007
            Wow the earth day idea is great too. I would love to have a bag with some art on it, a lot better than all the logos I carry around (even though they are businesses I want to support)! That sounds great! It sounds like the time must be right for this idea....as a side note too - we can make more money ordering them on our own. I LOVE Cafepress but they take a really large cut of the money and unless we had large ongoing orders we would not make much. Perhaps we could take pre-orders and then we would not end up ordering too many, at least?