Fundraiser IDEA

  • herbnhome
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007

      Perhaps this is coming too soon after the auction (GREAT job by the way!) but I had this great idea and I wanted to share it with everyone. I have been collecting canvans bags to use when I shop (so I don't have to waste the plastic ones) and I always like to buy them from businesses I enjoy.

      So...since we are all supporting the environment at Cowles - why don't we do something above and beyond collecting plastic bags for the environment? Why don't we show everyone how committed we are and earn some money for the school as well. The kids (or someone) could create a logo for canvas bags to be sold at Cowles (or other material), they could be produced (not very expensive - I have a brochure from a company I use for other things) and then the bags could be sold to parents and friends at a higher cost (like everyone else does - the other day I bought a bag for 22$!!!!)

      Just an idea...

      Blessings & Health,

      Kristie

      www.thedreamangelslimo.com

    • grateful_mom
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007
        Every year we have a T-Shirt fundraiser. Would it make sense to have a
        canvas bag be another option along with the T-shirts and sweatshirts?

        --- In cowlesmontessori@yahoogroups.com, "herbnhome" <herbnhome@...>
        wrote:

        > Perhaps this is coming too soon after the auction (GREAT job by the
        > way!) but I had this great idea and I wanted to share it with
        everyone.
        > I have been collecting canvans bags to use when I shop (so I don't
        have
        > to waste the plastic ones) and I always like to buy them from
        businesses
        > I enjoy.
        >
        > So...since we are all supporting the environment at Cowles - why don't
        > we do something above and beyond collecting plastic bags for the
        > environment? Why don't we show everyone how committed we are and earn
        > some money for the school as well. The kids (or someone) could create
        > logo for canvas bags to be sold at Cowles (or other material), they
        > could be produced (not very expensive - I have a brochure from a
        company
        > I use for other things) and then the bags could be sold to parents and
        > friends at a higher cost (like everyone else does - the other day I
        > bought a bag for 22$!!!!)
        >
        > Just an idea...
        >
        > Blessings & Health,
        >
        > Kristie
        >
        > www.thedreamangelslimo.com <http://www.thedreamangelslimo.com>

      • paxsonbill
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007

          One way to do this is through a website called "Cafepress".

          We can upload a design, and have it available for the Cowles community on a huge variety of products...t-shirts, sweatshirts, coffee mugs, tote bags, clocks, BBQ aprons, baby clothes, magnets, bumper stickers, etc.  (I'd avoid the thong underwear, tho.) :">

          Cafepress handles the transaction (Visa, MC...) and, of course, takes a small cut.  No one at Cowles has to take orders or handle the $$$.

          Best of all, we don't pay in advance for any inventory. Each item is printed after it is ordered. There are no upfront costs.

          I know that sounds like an ad, but really, I don't work there.

          - Bill Paxson

          http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/sell/intro/

        • J. Bottenfield-Biehn
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007
            Kristie,
            That is a great idea. I know several of my friends that use canvas bags printed with their logo to promote their local businesses.
            My family is a huge user of cloth and canvas bags for all things, but especially for grocery shopping. Here's a great website to for anyone interested in learning more about reducing consumption of throw away plastic bags.
            www.banthebags.org

            herbnhome <herbnhome@...> wrote:
[...]

            Jessica Bottenfield-Biehn,RN,CD(DONA)
            Holistic Moms Network
            Des Moines, IA

            "You are Stronger than you seem, Braver than you believe and Smarter than you think". ~~Christopher Robin

          • J. Bottenfield-Biehn
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007
              Bill,
              CafePress is AWESOME! I know a lot of people that have used it.
              I would give it a "yes" vote.
              Jessica

              paxsonbill <paxson@...> wrote:
[...]

            • hnschebel
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 15, 2007
                Kristie-
                I proposed the same idea to Sue Gunnick over email about 6 weeks
                ago. In fact my email to her was so similar to yours, I thought
                maybe she was putting it out for me now that the Auction is over!
                Great minds and all that sort of thing...

                Anyway, I think (obviously) it is a great idea and I would love to
                help organize something. I was thinking that we could have the kids
                create Earth Day related art and we could pick the winning art and
                put it on a bag that we sell for Earth Day.

                I found a website that makes bulk orders for anywhere from $3/bag
                down to $1.75/bag depending on how many you order, so we could
                compare that to cafepress, which I have used before so I know they
                are reputable.

                wrote:

                > Perhaps this is coming too soon after the auction (GREAT job by the
                > way!) but I had this great idea and I wanted to share it with
                everyone.
                > I have been collecting canvans bags to use when I shop (so I don't
                have
                > to waste the plastic ones) and I always like to buy them from
                businesses
                > I enjoy.
                >
                > So...since we are all supporting the environment at Cowles - why
                don't
                > we do something above and beyond collecting plastic bags for the
                > environment? Why don't we show everyone how committed we are and
                earn
                > some money for the school as well. The kids (or someone) could
                create a
                > logo for canvas bags to be sold at Cowles (or other material), they
                > could be produced (not very expensive - I have a brochure from a
                company
                > I use for other things) and then the bags could be sold to parents
                and
                > friends at a higher cost (like everyone else does - the other day I
                > bought a bag for 22$!!!!)
                >
                > Just an idea...
                >
                > Blessings & Health,
                >
                > Kristie
                >
                > www.thedreamangelslimo.com <http://www.thedreamangelslimo.com>

              • Kristie Karima Burns, MH, ND
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 15, 2007
                  Wow the earth day idea is great too. I would love to have a bag with some art on it, a lot better than all the logos I carry around (even though they are businesses I want to support)! That sounds great! It sounds like the time must be right for this idea....as a side note too - we can make more money ordering them on our own. I LOVE Cafepress but they take a really large cut of the money and unless we had large ongoing orders we would not make much. Perhaps we could take pre-orders and then we would not end up ordering too many, at least?