Re: [cowlesmontessori] Re: parking and drop off situation

  • Stefanie Stenberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 12, 2007
      because of the traffic coming down college, i often have to wait several cars to get in (which with all the stops can amount to several minutes).  there seems to be no consideration for the cars who are entering from 64th.  i admit, if i'm worried about being late, i do use college as well.  i've also dropped before the lower stop sign if there are too many delays.  i don't know what the solution is other than to leave earlier and wait, wait, wait.

      stef stenberg

      sandee_lyons <sklyons3@...> wrote:
      This has been a problem for the 10 years I have been bringing my kids
      to Cowles. If anyone can come up with a solution, we would probably
      build a statue in your honor! We need to remind each other not to go
      west on College but to come north on 64th and to drop off and pick up
      our kids at the bottom of the hill in the turn around. I know we all
      think it's a big hike up the hill for the kids but we also know that
      they are able to make that hike (at break neck speed if they feel
      like it AFTER school). I hear that patience is a virtue (though
      certainly not MY strong suit)...

      --- In cowlesmontessori@ yahoogroups. com, "paxsonbill" <paxson@...>
      wrote:

      > Jessica,
      >
      > No, you're right. Anarchy reigns in Windsor Heights.
      >
      > Disclaimer: I break the rules on a regular basis, too. I come down
      > College, to avoid going 3 or 4 blocks out of my way. And, if we're
      in
      > the upper lot, and someone right in front of us lets out a whole car
      > full of kids or is sitting there for what seems to be hours waiting
      > park, I let mine out too. I'm not going to let them be tardy because
      > someone else is breaking the rules or waiting to park. But
      generally, I
      > make them hike up the stairs.
      >
      > But your point is valid. As I left today, there were two cars
      double
      > parked with their flashers on. One was empty! Of course, there was
      > line behind, it trying to get around. Grrrrrr!
      >
      > Perhaps I am justifying my own College Street infractions, but it
      seems
      > to me that the bottle necks are not upon entering. I think people
      are
      > pretty good about taking turns. I think the bottle necks are more
      > caused by...
      >
      > * people having protracted conversations with their kids at the
      > designated drop-off point. (Enough, already! Anything more
      > than—"Bye. Have a good day!"—should be covered on the way to
      > school.) * cars waiting to park or trying to get out of parking
      spots
      > (Just try to find a solution to that!) * people parked in the
      > turn-around zone at the far end * the *&$#@! DMPS grounds crew
      > parking their truck and trailer in the turn-around * people
      letting
      > their kids out in the upper parking lot, when there is no one ahead
      of
      > them
      >
      > Also, I've noticed a drastic drop in the number of safety patrol
      this
      > year.
      >
      > Here's a small way to help. If the kids are old enough, let them
      out if
      > you are the second or third car back from the lower stop sign.
      They can
      > either run between the cars over to the grass or over to the sidwalk
      > without worrying about those parked cars backing up. (They're
      teachers'
      > cars.) That way, we can empty out three cars at a time.
      >
      > The parking problem is never going to be properly addressed until
      > something is done about our building. The DMPS is no longer saying
      we
      > are moving to Moore. So if—big if—we get any money for this
      > building, we should seriously consider purchasing nearby properties
      > allow for construction of a drop-off zone (separate from the parking
      > lot). Of course that gets into WH city politics, taxes, etc.
      >
      > - Bill Paxson

    • Kristie Karima Burns, MH, ND
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 12, 2007
        Dear All,

        I think a great idea would be to put up some really large arrows and signs every morning (have some of the before kids volunteer with one of the before teachers or someone?) like they do when there is an early out. I have to admit ever since they started posting that really big sign with the early out on it I never "forget" anymore. I think our brains are all scattered as parents - we have so much to remember I think that we simply forget. If there were big arrows and signs we wouldn't have any excuses. I don't know what kinds of permits you need for signs, but if there are a few places where the signs could ALWAYS be there that would be great.

        But if there was a reminder sign just before people left onto 63rd or came into 63rd that said "wrong way - approach via 64th" and a few signs that said "NO STOPPING HERE", etc...

        Just an idea. I can donate some sign material. I think the kids would have great fun making the signs. I think the real issue would be where to put them, if we would be allowed to post them and who is going to put them up. It would be easiest if some on the school grounds could be left there all week.

        Blessings & Health,
        Kristie

        wrote:

        > Jessica,
        >
        > No, you're right. Anarchy reigns in Windsor Heights.
        >
        > Disclaimer: I break the rules on a regular basis, too. I come down
        > College, to avoid going 3 or 4 blocks out of my way. And, if we're
        in
        > the upper lot, and someone right in front of us lets out a whole car
        > full of kids or is sitting there for what seems to be hours waiting
        > park, I let mine out too. I'm not going to let them be tardy because
        > someone else is breaking the rules or waiting to park. But
        generally, I
        > make them hike up the stairs.
        >
        > But your point is valid. As I left today, there were two cars
        double
        > parked with their flashers on. One was empty! Of course, there was
        > line behind, it trying to get around. Grrrrrr!
        >
        > Perhaps I am justifying my own College Street infractions, but it
        seems
        > to me that the bottle necks are not upon entering. I think people
        are
        > pretty good about taking turns. I think the bottle necks are more
        > caused by...
        >
        > * people having protracted conversations with their kids at the
        > designated drop-off point. (Enough, already! Anything more
        > than—"Bye. Have a good day!"—should be covered on the way to
        > school.) * cars waiting to park or trying to get out of parking
        spots
        > (Just try to find a solution to that!) * people parked in the
        > turn-around zone at the far end * the *&$#@! DMPS grounds crew
        > parking their truck and trailer in the turn-around * people
        letting
        > their kids out in the upper parking lot, when there is no one ahead
        of
        > them
        >
        > Also, I've noticed a drastic drop in the number of safety patrol
        this
        > year.
        >
        > Here's a small way to help. If the kids are old enough, let them
        out if
        > you are the second or third car back from the lower stop sign.
        They can
        > either run between the cars over to the grass or over to the sidwalk
        > without worrying about those parked cars backing up. (They're
        teachers'
        > cars.) That way, we can empty out three cars at a time.
        >
        > The parking problem is never going to be properly addressed until
        > something is done about our building. The DMPS is no longer saying
        we
        > are moving to Moore. So if—big if—we get any money for this
        > building, we should seriously consider purchasing nearby properties
        > allow for construction of a drop-off zone (separate from the parking
        > lot). Of course that gets into WH city politics, taxes, etc.
        >
        > - Bill Paxson

      • Gunnink
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 13, 2007
          That's a great suggestion Laurie!  Thanks!!  I'll add it to our list of things to do next year.  If anyone else has a suggestion, please send it my way.  I figure 10-15 more years and we'll have this event down pat!

          I was also very impressed with the Mad Scientists!  Anyone that can keep my kids attention for 2 hours is amazing.

          I don't have all the totals in yet but we made over $6000 this year, I'm pretty sure.  I don't have the credit card receipts or the people that left early and still need to pay added in.  I will have a final total by next Monday.

          Thanks to everyone for their participation!  That's what makes Cowles such a great community!

          Susan