auction

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 12, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      I wanted to post a message to say that my kids had a
      great time at the auction on Saturday. I am still
      amazed that my four-year-old sat for two hours in the
      room with the Mad Science experiments! He has a pretty
      good attention span, but still...that amazed me. I
      went in after I realized he'd been there for an hour
      and a half, because I thought he might be flagging,
      but he was still very engaged and wanted to stay to
      the very end.

      I also enjoyed the auction and would love to hear how
      much money was raised, when everything's been added
      up.

      The only small suggestion I would make relates to the
      live auction. I have bid for items online at cmarket
      (they organize online auctions for non-profits), and I
      noticed that once you are above $100, you have to
      increase bidding in increments of $10. Once the
      bidding has gone above $200, you have to increase in
      increments of $20. If the item's worth more than $500,
      you have to outbid someone by at least $50 to place a
      new bid.

      The live auction would move a little faster if bidding
      could go up in larger increments for the big-ticket
      items.

      But that is a small point--mainly I just wanted to say
      that it was a fabulous event. Thanks to everyone who
      made it happen, especially Sue Gunnink!

      Best,

      Laurie
    • Stefanie Stenberg
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 12, 2007
        because of the traffic coming down college, i often have to wait several cars to get in (which with all the stops can amount to several minutes).  there seems to be no consideration for the cars who are entering from 64th.  i admit, if i'm worried about being late, i do use college as well.  i've also dropped before the lower stop sign if there are too many delays.  i don't know what the solution is other than to leave earlier and wait, wait, wait.

        stef stenberg

        sandee_lyons <sklyons3@...> wrote:
        This has been a problem for the 10 years I have been bringing my kids
        to Cowles. If anyone can come up with a solution, we would probably
        build a statue in your honor! We need to remind each other not to go
        west on College but to come north on 64th and to drop off and pick up
        our kids at the bottom of the hill in the turn around. I know we all
        think it's a big hike up the hill for the kids but we also know that
        they are able to make that hike (at break neck speed if they feel
        like it AFTER school). I hear that patience is a virtue (though
        certainly not MY strong suit)...

        --- In cowlesmontessori@ yahoogroups. com, "paxsonbill" <paxson@...>
        wrote:

        > Jessica,
        >
        > No, you're right. Anarchy reigns in Windsor Heights.
        >
        > Disclaimer: I break the rules on a regular basis, too. I come down
        > College, to avoid going 3 or 4 blocks out of my way. And, if we're
        in
        > the upper lot, and someone right in front of us lets out a whole car
        > full of kids or is sitting there for what seems to be hours waiting
        > park, I let mine out too. I'm not going to let them be tardy because
        > someone else is breaking the rules or waiting to park. But
        generally, I
        > make them hike up the stairs.
        >
        > But your point is valid. As I left today, there were two cars
        double
        > parked with their flashers on. One was empty! Of course, there was
        > line behind, it trying to get around. Grrrrrr!
        >
        > Perhaps I am justifying my own College Street infractions, but it
        seems
        > to me that the bottle necks are not upon entering. I think people
        are
        > pretty good about taking turns. I think the bottle necks are more
        > caused by...
        >
        > * people having protracted conversations with their kids at the
        > designated drop-off point. (Enough, already! Anything more
        > than—"Bye. Have a good day!"—should be covered on the way to
        > school.) * cars waiting to park or trying to get out of parking
        spots
        > (Just try to find a solution to that!) * people parked in the
        > turn-around zone at the far end * the *&$#@! DMPS grounds crew
        > parking their truck and trailer in the turn-around * people
        letting
        > their kids out in the upper parking lot, when there is no one ahead
        of
        > them
        >
        > Also, I've noticed a drastic drop in the number of safety patrol
        this
        > year.
        >
        > Here's a small way to help. If the kids are old enough, let them
        out if
        > you are the second or third car back from the lower stop sign.
        They can
        > either run between the cars over to the grass or over to the sidwalk
        > without worrying about those parked cars backing up. (They're
        teachers'
        > cars.) That way, we can empty out three cars at a time.
        >
        > The parking problem is never going to be properly addressed until
        > something is done about our building. The DMPS is no longer saying
        we
        > are moving to Moore. So if—big if—we get any money for this
        > building, we should seriously consider purchasing nearby properties
        > allow for construction of a drop-off zone (separate from the parking
        > lot). Of course that gets into WH city politics, taxes, etc.
        >
        > - Bill Paxson

      • Kristie Karima Burns, MH, ND
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2007
          Dear All,

          I think a great idea would be to put up some really large arrows and signs every morning (have some of the before kids volunteer with one of the before teachers or someone?) like they do when there is an early out. I have to admit ever since they started posting that really big sign with the early out on it I never "forget" anymore. I think our brains are all scattered as parents - we have so much to remember I think that we simply forget. If there were big arrows and signs we wouldn't have any excuses. I don't know what kinds of permits you need for signs, but if there are a few places where the signs could ALWAYS be there that would be great.

          But if there was a reminder sign just before people left onto 63rd or came into 63rd that said "wrong way - approach via 64th" and a few signs that said "NO STOPPING HERE", etc...

          Just an idea. I can donate some sign material. I think the kids would have great fun making the signs. I think the real issue would be where to put them, if we would be allowed to post them and who is going to put them up. It would be easiest if some on the school grounds could be left there all week.

          Blessings & Health,
          Kristie

          wrote:

          > Jessica,
          >
          > No, you're right. Anarchy reigns in Windsor Heights.
          >
          > Disclaimer: I break the rules on a regular basis, too. I come down
          > College, to avoid going 3 or 4 blocks out of my way. And, if we're
          in
          > the upper lot, and someone right in front of us lets out a whole car
          > full of kids or is sitting there for what seems to be hours waiting
          > park, I let mine out too. I'm not going to let them be tardy because
          > someone else is breaking the rules or waiting to park. But
          generally, I
          > make them hike up the stairs.
          >
          > But your point is valid. As I left today, there were two cars
          double
          > parked with their flashers on. One was empty! Of course, there was
          > line behind, it trying to get around. Grrrrrr!
          >
          > Perhaps I am justifying my own College Street infractions, but it
          seems
          > to me that the bottle necks are not upon entering. I think people
          are
          > pretty good about taking turns. I think the bottle necks are more
          > caused by...
          >
          > * people having protracted conversations with their kids at the
          > designated drop-off point. (Enough, already! Anything more
          > than—"Bye. Have a good day!"—should be covered on the way to
          > school.) * cars waiting to park or trying to get out of parking
          spots
          > (Just try to find a solution to that!) * people parked in the
          > turn-around zone at the far end * the *&$#@! DMPS grounds crew
          > parking their truck and trailer in the turn-around * people
          letting
          > their kids out in the upper parking lot, when there is no one ahead
          of
          > them
          >
          > Also, I've noticed a drastic drop in the number of safety patrol
          this
          > year.
          >
          > Here's a small way to help. If the kids are old enough, let them
          out if
          > you are the second or third car back from the lower stop sign.
          They can
          > either run between the cars over to the grass or over to the sidwalk
          > without worrying about those parked cars backing up. (They're
          teachers'
          > cars.) That way, we can empty out three cars at a time.
          >
          > The parking problem is never going to be properly addressed until
          > something is done about our building. The DMPS is no longer saying
          we
          > are moving to Moore. So if—big if—we get any money for this
          > building, we should seriously consider purchasing nearby properties
          > allow for construction of a drop-off zone (separate from the parking
          > lot). Of course that gets into WH city politics, taxes, etc.
          >
          > - Bill Paxson

        • Gunnink
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 13, 2007
            That's a great suggestion Laurie!  Thanks!!  I'll add it to our list of things to do next year.  If anyone else has a suggestion, please send it my way.  I figure 10-15 more years and we'll have this event down pat!

            I was also very impressed with the Mad Scientists!  Anyone that can keep my kids attention for 2 hours is amazing.

            I don't have all the totals in yet but we made over $6000 this year, I'm pretty sure.  I don't have the credit card receipts or the people that left early and still need to pay added in.  I will have a final total by next Monday.

            Thanks to everyone for their participation!  That's what makes Cowles such a great community!

            Susan